• Creator
    Topic

Eric
    Participant

The boat is a 2007 Sundancer 40 with QSB 5.9 425HP motors. Looking to replace hoses, particularly the intake/aftercooler/turbo hoses. (#2 in this picture: https://www.sbmar.com/qsb-5-9-engine-hoses/) as Ive noticed one hose starting to fray with apparent dry rot.

Also thinking about replacing the cooling hoses as well, but not sure i want to tackle it yet as there is no visible cracking or dryness apparent and they feel good when squeezed.

The job looks straightforward but I have a couple questions:

-Do the air-side hoses (#2) require any disassembly or can they be removed and replaced without removing parts?
    -When would one normally replace the cooling side hoses even without obvious rot?
    -Any tips on draining the coolant for cooling hose replacement without making an enormous mess?

Thanks for any help!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

QSB Coolant Drain

QSB Coolant Drain. Photos like this and hundreds more like this are on the website and “searchable”

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

As a norm, unless something is obviously not looking good, engine coolant and even seawater are rather kind to hoses. I’d worry more about the seawater components than the hoses that connect them..

The air hoses should be able to be R&R’d with all in place.

Here is a coolant drain. As to being “messy” that basically comes down to how accessible the drain is in your specific install and how much time and effort you put into having the right catch cans that will fit in whatever space you are dealing with…

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

I could give you a much better or decent response if I could “see” what you “see”..

My crystal ball is just not that good.

My email is [email protected] and I prefer jpg ATTACHMENTS ( not embedded in the email) about 1 Mb in size and they need to be clear and in-focus.

Tony

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.