• Creator
    Topic

Mike Mason
    Participant
    Engines: Qsb 5.9 380

I recently added a fuel capsule to my mechanical guage to plug into the madusa harness on my qsb’s. I have a single 295 gallon tank and hooked the wiring from the fuel capsule to the starboard side madusa harness. I went to my vessel view 4 and could see the tank reading 132 gallons at the dock. Went surfing today off Point Loma and ran the boat a max of 12 miles. Per my recent fuel tank hook up, the screen said I have 103 gallons. This would mean I burned 29 gallons in 12 miles. No way possible. Boat ran great and at 2300 rpm my gph shows 11 a side.

Either the reader on the qsb is off or I don’t have something set up right.

Any ideas.

Thanks

Mike

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

You said: “Smartcraft Frowned On”

Understand that “SmartCraft” electronics only takes what the base CM850 ECM processor on the engine that puts out as SAE J1939 data on ONE twisted pair of wires. Then, SmartCraft wizardly converts that data to a Mercury electronic protocol and then tries to tell you way is says, but does it using 10+ times the wires and connectors.

It also adds all sorts of “bells & whistles” that may or maybe be of any value and can be extremely hard to troubleshoot glitches that are very real in many applications….That’s the issue I have with it & the fact that support is iffy at best…

Yes, what the ECM transmits is very accurate.. In this case, Smartcraft is transmitting what the engine is telling it to transmit.. Smartcraft itself doing noting as to something the engines ECM does not already knows.

Tony

David R Flamer
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Tax Break
    Engines: QSB5.9 380

Thank you Philip. I have this display, but I also have the LCD display in the bottom of the tachs and that is the display I refer to. I will take a pic next time I am on the boat.

Fireisland1
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Riverwind
    Engines: cummins QSB 380

I tested my qsb fuel system last year . I know around here Smartcraft is frowned upon. On a 40gal. run I was within .5 Gal I did this 2 times . One for each tank. The results were so close no further testing was necessary.
    The results are, fuel burn is what the Smartcraft gauge says it is.

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

Guess I am lucky that the previous owner of our current boat did the hard work and got the GPS, SmartCrap and Autopilot all talking to each other so I can see fuel required to make it to the next waypoint. As we cruised from Mentor, Oh to Erie PA for the Blues and Jazz fest I engaged a route on the GPS, used tracking mode on the autopilot and watched fuels stats on the SC. Kinda fun to experience that for the first time.

I will dig through our pages and see if I can find ā€œtotal fuel burnedā€ and then figure out how to reset it. We have gas engines but the theory all works the same as it pertains to fuel level in tanks, burn rates and ranges.

Have a safe and Happy New Year!

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35ā€™ Cabo ā€˜FUGAā€™
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540ā€™s

On the ā€œQā€ engines fuel flow is calculated via the ECM and is VERY accurate. Fuel used is an ECM calculation based on fuel flow and time.

The float sensor in the tank only controls tank level indication.

I have simple diesel view displays and did have to connect the NMEA0183 cabling to get NM/Gal info. Not sure if that also turned on the fuel used functionality. I also had to configure the tank capacity in setup to get a digital fuel remaining indication.

What displays do you have?

The attached may help you if you have these displays

Mike Mason
    Participant

I think it’s all based on the float in the tank. Mine seems to have over advanced.

I have not run the boat since but will start a log on it this week.

David R Flamer
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Tax Break
    Engines: QSB5.9 380

Philip

This is an interesting thread. My fuel used does not advance. Is there a secret to it?

Mike Mason
    Participant

My float sensor must be inaccurate. Went down today, turned the key and the tank reads 111 gallons.

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35ā€™ Cabo ā€˜FUGAā€™
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540ā€™s

The advice given is similar to what I have found. It stems from the inherent inaccuracy of the fuel float sensor.

What I do know is my fuel flow is accurate and the fuel used is accurate. If I reset the fuel burned when the tank is full and then put in exactly that amount at the next fill it is spot on.

Phil

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

Mike,

Here is 1 idea based on my personal experience with our boat which was new to us this year……….

Are you sure about the accuracy of the tank level readings? I have found that my “smartcrap” readings of gallons in the port and starboard tanks are not exactly “accurate” to the gallon. I have had to get used to the measurement inaccuracies and look at tank levels as more of a trend as opposed to an exact reading of “gallons in the tank before we left the dock MINUS gallons remaining when we get back to the dock EQUALS Fuel burned”.

In fact the marina spilled a little fuel at the beginning of the season because of the inaccurate tank reading. “Smartcrap” told me we had 10 gallons in the STBD tank and 50 in the port tanks, I told the marina to fuel the boat and even it out to 240 gallons total and expect to fill ~110 gallons on the starboard side and ~70 on the port side. it splashed over on the stbd side at 103 while pumping. Our boat is supposed to hold ~138 on each side, I only wanted 120 on each side so that we did not spill anything in the fueling process. We all learned something that day.

On an off day later in the season, I went over to the fuel dock at our marina and conducted an experiment. The marina was quite patient with me that day so I tipped the dock hands nicely. I filled 10 gallons per side at a time. At the end of each 10 gallon interval, we stopped fueling, I turned on the ignition(but did not fire the engines) and read the gallon levels on each tank and looked for any variation in reading based on measured fueling. Observations and Conclusions: The real world is not 100% accurate.

You may find some variation in reading in your tank at the different levels of fill. Experiment with it. I end up fueling our boat based on how much fuel I need for a particular run based on my knowledge of fuel burn rate. I put a little more in than I need as a prudent measure. I observe fuel level before the run then observe the fuel level after the run. Its kinda funny how different the tank readings are against what I would expect if things were 100% dead on accurate.

I would recommend running a few more fueling and burning tests to trend your readings. I would personally trust your instantaneous readings from the engines more than I would the exact gallon level readings from your tank. “Your mileage may vary”

As a general idea I would not trust 1 experience with numbers that are not quite what you expect. I would increase your sampling size and run a few more experiments to well and truly see if you have a real issue with your wiring or if this is just a matter of tank measurement accuracy tolerances.

Food for thought

Steve

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.