• Creator
    Topic

Paul McInnis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Julia
    Engines: Cummins

My engine has about 350 hours and 2 1/2 seasons of use. I want to do the Barnacle Buster flush before I haul out for the season here in the Northeast(NH Seacoast). Many good points on this forum. I will be using the groco replacement cover for the in flow. I plan to remove the exhaust hose at the heat exchanger. My question is will that hose remove easily without damage and go back easily?

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Replies

gerryc
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Midnight Zulu
    Engines: Cummins QSB 6.7

Update

Core only slides out aft. Aluminum retainer ring slides off forward end. Cummins part number for end caps has
    been superseded for a new design. Using these bronze caps seems to be the best option. Five years old and 600 hours, It really needed this service…..lots of corrosion starting. I will hack saw the old cap to retrieve the
    bolt.

gerryc
    Participant

I have the aftercooler on the bench now, and looking at Brendan’s photo, I am wondering if the core only slides out to the aft? Also. do the thin plastic strips need to be reinstalled during assembly? I gather that the barriers
    are there to direct the sea water S-N-S through the core prior to exiting. I have purchased the Bronze end caps
    but one of the bolts remains in the composite aft end cap because it is blocked by the zinc anode bolt which I cannot remove due to the whole sleeve turning (what a Crappy design……) Could I use a regular SS replacement bolt?

Byron Biggs
    Participant

barnacle Buster for HX scale removal

I see the place for BB (or equivalent) sole job is to remove scale (mineral deposits) that build up on the passage ways of the raw water HX (any type). It does not take much (as in a couple of .001’s) to decrease the thermal transfer. Think of mineral deposits as “Pink Panther” for your HX. Saying all that I do not know the degree that which BB attacks the copper or brass HX passageways. I suspect very little. Also BB is no substitute for cleaning the air side of the core on your after coolers.

gerryc
    Participant

QSB 6.7 in Nordic Tug

Glad I read these posts as I am in the process of servicing my raw water system. I realize that I also have plastic end caps, not to mention the whole insert sleeve turning while trying to remove the anode on the rear cap.I am now in touch with my guy in Victoria BC regarding the Bronze replacements (as well as an SMX pump
    to change to at the first sign of a drip) I have purchased a Groco 2″ inline fresh water flush system and my question is; am I OK to install it on the output side of the strainer, or should it be installed between the through
    hull valve and the strainer unit. That hose is much shorter and could make for a more difficult job when trying to fit. Thanks again Guys,

Patrick
    Participant
    Engines: QSB 5.9 330

Yes, you can use Barnacle Buster. It does help clear the cooling passages from marine growth. I have used it twice now and seen temps lowered on intake manifold and head cooling. Good for a/c and gen set. But, like mentioned above, it does not address corrosion around the sealing o-rings. I use it once a year and disassemble and rebuild every 4 years in SoCal. 85-100 hrs a year.

Paul McInnis
    Participant

Thanks for clarifying. My original inquiry was about doing a flush with Barnacle Buster as I am on a mooring without any way to have a fresh water flush set up.
    I am now convinced that I need to service the after cooler. Is this done by just removing the end caps or does the after cooler need to be removed from the engine.?
    In Tony’s last reply it shows the heat exchanger what is the suggested maintenance for it?

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

100% right………………..Had them swapped in the 72 year old brain..

Tony

Anonymous
    Inactive

6.7 aftercooler serviceability

i believe you are thinking of the 6.7 hx. Which does not come apart other than the end caps come off.

Tony Athens

6.7 aftercooler serviceability

Obviously, I have lost it….

Time for Homosassa..

Tony

Anonymous
    Inactive

Aftercooler service

6.7 aftercooler is 100% serviceable if taken care of from day 1. It uses the same o-rings as the cummins QSC 8.3. I have done about 10 of them to date.

Brass caps are a must sooner rather than later.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Barry
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Cygnus

Serviced mine with 4 season and 300 hours. 2013 QSB 6.7. Fresh water moored so basically fresh water flushed. Pull the hoses to you aftercoolers, trans cooler and heat exchangers and look to see condition. For your aftercoolers, earlier ones had plastic end caps. No good. Must switch those out. Service them and install a fresh water flush.

Tony Athens

Not at all……………………………The plan for my 60K -$100 + K engine room would be diligent fresh water flushing.. Acid washing would be absolutely last on my list.

Tony

Paul McInnis
    Participant

So is the solution to not remove and service the after cooler as suggested and go ahead with the planned Barnacle Buster flush?

Tony Athens

It’s does appear than when these aftercoolers were on the “Drawing Board”, proper disassembly and servicing of both the core and the housing was part of the plan…………………………. So what happened? I have no clue other than what I am not allowed to refer to any more ( I’ve been slapped) ..

You said it for me.. Thanks..

Tony

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35’ Cabo ‘FUGA’
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540’s

Sounds like some of the older QSB6.7 aftercoolers May have had a different design that allowed disassembly. At some point that changed and now we have a cooler that can’t be cleaned/serviced… what were the couch engineers thinking?

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle

Well unfortunately the core is not removable for the QSB 6.7 aftercooler based on my research… not a good design IMO but it is what it is. More R&D to be done on these coolers so we can come up with a solid maintenance plan in the long-term… nothing worse than a $3k “throw-away” non-serviceable component…

Philip
    Participant

No. The aftercooler has to come off to get the core out.

Save the money and skip the acid flush.

Paul McInnis
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. I was planning to have the after cooler serviced next season. Can that be done on the QSB 6.7 without removing from the engine?

Philip
    Participant

The hose should remove just fine.

BUT

You need to understand that flushing with any acid wash will clean the bundle tubes only and will not address the o ring sealing surfaces that can cause you some serious issues. At 350 hours and 2 1/2 seasons in salt water with no fresh water flush you are due to disassemble the aftercooler and clean/grease/replace o rings in the process detailed on this cite. Failure to do this can and will eventually lead to salt water spraying into your engine.

Acid flushing is fine for a mid season tune up if needed but not a replacement for proper off engine servicing.

Phil

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.