• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by john.
  • Creator
    Topic

john
    Participant

Ok so I get a call today from the owner of a boat I work on. Said he had lost power lots of black smoke and shut the starboard engine down because of the problem. I’m not around so he had someone look at the engine. Seemed like the turbo looked a little oily is how he described it. Turbo was free and turned free. Took the boat out and it ran great and 2900 rpm with no smoke. Any ideas?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

john
    Participant

Take a pic of the ecm and that is about all you Will get. You cannot see the pump. The pump sits right behind the computer. The older vintage qsb pumps were not that good. If you have one from what I understand it’s only a matter of time. Very good job of making it in usable and hard to get att to replace. About as hard as you could think of. Brilliant

Fireisland1
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Riverwind
    Engines: cummins QSB 380

Tony. I looked around your tips but did not see anything about changing out a QSB lift pump. How bout a pic or two?

David R Flamer
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Tax Break
    Engines: QSB5.9 380

Where is the lift pump located

I’ve got QSB 380’s. Where is the sh**ty place the lift pump located?

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

It must have been a contest as to who could come up with an impossible place to hide a electric fuel pump.

Had to have been a Senior Couch Engineer in the same group that designed the Dry Manifold System for the QSM 11

Tony

john
    Participant

Well like i told the owner of the boat it will most likely come back or rear its head so we can see the problem. Fuel lift pump went out. He got over 7k hours on it so thats pretty good for those vintage qsb engine, Another kick in the nuts though to cummins engineers for about the shittiest location they could think of.

john
    Participant

So a little more info. This event happened last week. Now the boat is running perfect. Just weird. No idea what happened.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.