• Creator
    Topic

Michael Loy
    Participant

I have SEABOARD’S PCV-SYSTEM on my B 370hp Diamonds. On one engine the puke bottle fills after about 15 hrs at 1400 RPM over several days . NO higher RPM. The other engine only has about 1 inch in the bottle.
    What’s up?

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Mike,

Glad we “mitigated” or contained the blow-by to where all works well.. And thanks for the pics.. I think they tell the story here way more that the words themselves..

All is good..

Tony

Michael Loy
    Participant

Excess Puke FIXED!

Installed Tony’s high-rise and after 50 hrs of running only 1/4″ in the bottle.
    Original definition photos provided Tony separately.

Bill Desmarais
    Vessel Name: Extremist
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA 370

Nice job using mother nature to solve the problem……….”gravity” and “rain out”………..both are free !

Tony Athens

Mike,

Favor please–Send me those pics direct in High-Res. [email protected]

Things to ponder.

#1— We can’t eliminate blow-by, we can only mitigate the issues it causes.

#2– An ultimate system on a high blow by engine like yours would be to have a long 1.5″~2″ ID tube with a continuous rise going up a few feet ( 5-10+ would be great) .. A few baffles in side of stainless mesh ( we use Brillo pad SS mesh) would also help but not restrict……At the top you install a 3/4″ hose adapter.. Then all of the oil would drop back into the engine and only the fumes/steam/ gases would make it to the engines intake.

I was on a 100 ft vessel once with very old & tired diesels.. The engine venting for all 3 engines was 1 & 2″ piping going up the dry exhaust cowlings to the top of the cabin ( maybe 30-40 ft continuous rise runs). there were 180 degree loops at the top on each pipe with a hanging can on each– All three were relatively clean..I talked w/ the engineer about it and he said it was the perfect solution to 30+ yr old diesels–“Out of sight & out of mind”.. Got me thinking!

Tony

Michael Loy
    Participant

Riser Installed

Will advise puke performance after 6-day trip in mid-Oct.

Michael Loy
    Participant

Still Unresolved

NEW Turbo installed. 6″ vent riser not yet received. Sea Trial results inconclusive.

Still make full power rpm. Coolant temps and lube pressures OK.

Turbo boost pressure = 24psi vs 26psi for other engine.
    EGT 925deg vs 850deg for other engine.
    New boost/EGT gage on problem engine so not sure if these reading variances between engines are determinant. Prior reading comparisons before previous gage failed showed both engine readings were almost exactly the same with each other.

At idle, a comparison of air movement at disconnected vent is ‘puffy’ from problem engine whereas other engine air outlet is barely discern-able.

After the approximate 45 minute sea trial, the problem puke bottle had about 3/8″ oil whereas the other engine had none.

We’ve done everything we could think of to alleviate the excess puke oil on this engine except Tony’s suggestion for a riser on the rocker arm cover vent outlet. Will report results after the riser is installed.[/u]

1 user thanked author for this post.

Tony Athens

Brendan is on it! ..

I’m out of here for the next month (zip 34448), so keep on him —- [email protected]

Tony

Michael Loy
    Participant

Email Sent

Email sent direct affirming desire for 6″ Kit

Tony Athens

If you want one of my guys to make you up a 6″ “extension kit” drop me a note.. That should mitigate or solve the issue

Tony

Michael Loy
    Participant

8"

Clearance between #1 rocker cover top & ceiling above is 8″

Tony Athens

This is a new kit we have developed.. It called a ‘product improvement” for problem engines..

Tony

Michael Loy
    Participant

CCV Riser "Kit"

Tony,
    I will measure the LIMITED height clearance I have above the rocker cover and the ceiling above it and report back. I couldn’t find the specific CCV Riser Kt you mentioned.
    The new Turbo arrives tomorrow [31Aug17]; we will install next week. I’ll be happy to return the old one [Brad didn’t want it]. Anything to support an autopsy for increased knowledge.

I neglected to mention that we had run a full power test with a manometer attached to the CCV to quantify pressure. The manometer measures the pressure inside of a T-fitting with one leg to the CCV, one leg to a calibrated orifice, and one leg to the downstream Turbo air inlet filter. We got a reading of 2″ of water and thought we were OK. After returning to the pier we found that the manometer T orifice outlet had sprayed oil ALL over the engine room. We surmise that the volume of oil had plugged the T outlet to the air intake filter and the oil went out the orifice on the T AND caused an inaccurate reading.

Tony Athens

Mike,

Look at the attached picture………….I want to know how much room you have here to raise the CCV outlet with a kit we have developed for issues like this.. Trust me that Gravity is your best friend when you have blow-by issues..

Old turbo–Considering sending it to us for a “proper inspection & rebuild”..

Tony

Michael Loy
    Participant

Long Road, Here's Update

– NOT overfilled. Puke still fills with oil level at least 1 qt BELOW low level mark. Previously no problem in years past when oil level at the full mark.
    – Suspected blowby on piston rings. Oil analysis normal. Each injector firing OK. Compression check shows 360psi on 4 cylinders, 350psi on one and 340psi on one.
    – Engine makes full power RPM [3,000] with turbo boost at 27psi and EGT at 900deg [std specs]. No smoke.
    – Final suspicion is Turbo oil seal bad allowing pressure into oil return side. Turbo disassembly showed seal marginal and shaft portion pitted[/u]. New Turbo on order.

Michael Loy
    Participant

Reply to 5 Questions

1. Pictures attached. Maybe not Good?
    2. I had AIRSEP systems on both since new.
    3. Bought new in year of manufacture = 2001. 2,466 hrs PORT. 1,749 hrs STBD Cummins REMAN.
    4. AIRSEPS were stopping vent flow because of hose routing “trap’ effect. Believe crankcase was being pressurized
    as a result and suffered many oil leaks. Since changing to SEABOARD PCV the leaks have stopped.
    5. I did NOT measure the precise fill on last oil change. Many years ago I measure 14 qts fill and noted dipstick level.
    Subsequent fills have been to that level. Could oil level bee to high? Possible, but not likely.
    If now overfilled, won’t the puke bottle eventually drain the ex level when Puke stops filling rapidly?

Tony Athens

1) Good pictures of both P&S installs 1st…………

2) Before you did the install, where did the “blow-by” go? What exact did you have for a crankcase vent system

3) How long have you owned the boat–Year & engine hours?

4) Reason for upgrading the CCV system?

5) Exactly how much oil in in your oil pan, engine off, sitting at the dock.. I want a precise number in QUARTS…

Answer all of these, 1-5…………………………..

Tony

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.