• Creator
    Topic

Walter Schwab
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Blue Moon
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA-370

What are the standard rules, best practices, for using hose clamps. All stainless steel I know.

When should constant torque clamps be used?
    When should two clamps be used back to back?
    How much band overlap should there be (what size should be used)?
    Any special clamps for the material/composition of the hose like using a linear clamp?
    Any special clamps or considerations for the type of material passing through the hose (air, freshwater, seawater, diesel, gasoline, blackwater, oil)?
    Any torque specifications for each type of clamp?
    Guidelines for when a clamp should be replaced?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Nutdriver tight on worm gear clamps is all I have done for decades. Weā€™ve covered this a few times by now. Do a few searches. For sure one using ā€œnutdriverā€ as search term and then for a tool purchase if you wish search ā€œvalve wrenchā€

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Clamping techniques —- Some pics here that show what we think is the right way to clamp exhaust & log hoses.. As you look thru the various articles and pics on this site, you’ll see how we do it.. As to how tight and the type of clamp, I’ll let others post there long term experiences.. Personally I rarely use a “T” bolt clamps except is very selected places..

https://www.sbmar.com/articles/proper-technique-for-clamping-exhaust-hose/

https://www.sbmar.com/articles/everything-you-need-to-know-about-propeller-shaft-packings/

Tony

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.