• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Not.
  • Creator
    Topic

Not
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Wagmore
    Engines: Yanmar 4LH-TE

I’m about to order up a double double filtration kit, but still debating on the squeeze bulb kit. I don’t mind the expense, but it won’t fit in my engine hold. There’s barely enough room for the double double kit.

From what I’ve read of Tony’s posts, it seems like the only significant concern with priming bulbs is one of flow restriction – hence, the valving to bypass the bulb in the complete kit sold here. However, I also read a comment somewhere – I think by Tony – that stated there’s no real concern for flow restriction through a 3/8 priming bulb for under 200HP engines. My 4LH-TE is well below that at 110. Not sure what it pulls at WOT, but at cruise/hull speed it’s a miserly 1.25-1.5 GPH.

If I pick up the entire kit, I’d have to install it aft under the cockpit by the tank – easy access, but nowhere near the filters/engine.

There is room to place just a squeeze bulb in the engine hold, directly in the fuel line, just before it enters the filters. Far more useful in that location, but yes – all fuel flowing through it, all the time.

Wise or no?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Not
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Wagmore
    Engines: Yanmar 4LH-TE

Thanks, Rob.

Can’t believe I didn’t think of that before. Basically, I’d just planned on swapping out the Racor 500 for the double double in the current engine hold location, assuming it was there for a reason. I could certainly remove the Racor completely, splicing the fuel line together.

There is indeed, a ton more space by the tanks under the cockpit than in the engine hold. The double double would easily fit there and actually be much easier to service.

If I’ve not exhausted my quota of dumb questions…is there any reason one wouldn’t want a long fuel line run from these new filters to the engine? Currently, the Racor 500 is within 24″ of the last chance, on-engine Yanmar filter. Moving the double double filtration setup under the cockpit would increase that fuel line run to 12-14′.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

In-line with that engine you should be fine. It’s better to have the squeeze bulb before the filters and have it push the fuel through the filters. So if access and ease of use under the cockpit by the tank is good that sounds like a good spot for the full setup. No sense adding more to an already crowded engine room…

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.