• Creator
    Topic

Mike Schmidt
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins 6bta 330hp

I over-oiled my Walker Airseps last summer, as I discovered a bunch of the red oil dripping out of the filters after I installed them. The dripping subsided after a week or so. Well, my new problem is that my port (6bta) engine is not making WOT (~200rpm shy of previous WOT). I’m in the process of going through all of Tony’s recommendations on his tips page, but I was wondering if an over-oiled air filter could contribute to this? Is there something I could look at to determine?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35’ Cabo ‘FUGA’
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540’s

You could pressure test the entire assembly. Matter of fact I like to do that post assembly every time to ensure a good seal. Just block off one end of the water inlet/outlet and block the other end with a pressure gauge/schrader fitting. Pump air into the fitting, 15-20#’s should be plenty and let it sit overnight….

Mike Schmidt
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins 6bta 330hp

I just had the bottom cleaned and I’m still getting the same low WOT. Nothing has been done to the engine than oil/atf change and aftercooler service since reaching correct WOT.

Wouldn’t a clogged aftercooler result in black smoke? I’m not getting any symptoms other than low WOT… How about this… when I maintained the aftercoolers, is it possible that I damaged the core and now it is leaking water into the air side and that is the problem? I did have to hammer the core out, but I did a short pressure test (~2 minutes) and it seemed to hold fine. Is there a way to determine this without pulling the whole thing apart again?

Mike Mason
    Participant
    Engines: Qsb 5.9 380

Start with the aftercooler…

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35’ Cabo ‘FUGA’
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540’s

Mike,

Unless you oiled the filter so much that it is now clogging the aftercooler? As Rob mentioned….

What’s the service history on the engine? Anything done between the last time the engine reached rated rpm and the current issue? How’s the bottom condition?

Phil

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Is there black smoke now that was not noticed before?
    The aftercooler servicing was before the over-oiling of the airsep, right? To answer your specific question -It’s the air side of the aftercooler that you would look at.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.