• Creator
    Topic

Roger bing
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Bingo
    Engines: 330 b series

I have a 4kw onan MDK genset. Last fall I had to replace the pan and had no luck finding an onan part. Long story short, I found the KUBOTA pan that ONAN had marinized and installed it. Only difference is I now have to drain the pan through the dipstick. The pan dimensions were the same as I placed them side by side and compared. Fast forward two months. First trip out was in February, a flat calm day. Generator runs great all day. Second trip out (a bit rough) generator runs forty minutes and trips on a fault. Upon returning to the dock, I ran the machine under full load for an hour and could not duplicate the fault. Yesterday, I ran the machine again and it cut out after forty minutes on a fault. Upon resetting the machine and restarting it cut out in approx. three-five minutes. Again it ran over an hour loaded at the dock. Am I correct to assume that this cannot be a hi temp or EGT trip being that the gene restarts immediately upon cutting out? Forgot to mention at dock gauges on machine read 175 deg. and 40psi. Oil level looks fine 10w30. I am planning on changing oil and trying again as pressure is only thing I can see shutting machine down. Anyone else ever had a similar issue where machine only stalls at sea?

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Good that the system protected itself. Thanks for posting the end result.

Roger bing
    Participant

sorry for late reply. i was a jackass. 20+ year old seawater strainer with cork gasket was issue. when i pulled gene out to replace pan, I cleaned strainer. eventually i tried bypassing strainer and unit never shut down. it was the high temp cutout tripping unit out when running due to vaccum created in scoop.

DrewRu
    Participant

Hi…could very well be the control board. I had the same problem last month and the control board and the regulator was bad. A good source is a company Flight Systems 717-590-7335 in Pennsylvania. I worked with Tom, they actually answer the phone and will troubleshoot the problem. They sell after market onan parts for less than onan.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

While you’re in there be sure to check all leads, connectors, pinned harness connectors, etc.

Roger bing
    Participant

yea that was some ride…. I was even wondering if it could be a fuel issue causing high exhaust temps. ..problem is i cant think of any easy way to determine which switch is cutting out on me.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

Sounds good – just trying to be open minded..

Checked out your Inlet of Fury video on YT – yikes – looks like Moriches but in Moriches we have a NARROW chute that usually let’s you cut through which ain’t too bad unless you really have the tide against you..

Roger bing
    Participant

I was running sae 30 prior to takeout as the manual recommends for temps over 80. However it says 10-30 is acceptable over a wider temp range. I will check out seawater flow and check for intake restriction.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

I was not referring to a coolant temp overheat but if the seawater flow is getting interrupted while on the run it may be enough to trigger a High Exhaust Temp Safety Shutdown Switch if so equipped.

The replacement oil pan was identical as to sumps, baffles, etc, right? What oil were you running prior to the pan change out?

Roger bing
    Participant

Yes, boat was in water all year. However, she was just hauled and intake is clear. The entire machine was removed from boat in December and gone over when I replaced the pan. New Impeller, pan, hoses, cleaned heat ex., etc….. It is only tripping on fault while underway in ocean. I ran it for over an hour in the bay while i idled back to my slip in the calm water. It will restart immediately after shutting down therefore I would imagine overheat not an issue as the switch would still trigger and prohibit restart right after tripping. That leaves me with EGT and oil pressure. Im going with oil since I changed pan. I have 10-30 in it as per manual. Will change with sae30, check exchanger header, and run again.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

When you say it’s only happening “at sea” does this mean “at drift” or “on the run”. If the later, I would suspect she’s not getting solid flow of sea water intake when on the move. I see you are on Long Island and you mention that you were boating in February. Did she stay in the water all winter? Could the thru-hull intake be partially fouled? Impeller replacement history?

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

You have multiple shutdowns on the set- ( coolant, oil, over speed(?) , exhaust water flow(heat) –Because of the way they are wired, it’s very difficult to troubleshoot..

#1–Get a wiring diagram and learn the shut down /control system

#2– check to see if you have a temp sensor the the wet exhaust mixer–Most likely faulty sensor. But it could be one of the others or one of the relays

Post the full model # & serial #————————-If the is the 2600 Belt driven unit, then you are in for quite a ride sorting it out–You might also double check the drive system as they give issues too.

Tony

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.