• Creator
    Topic

Jeffrey Cohen
    Participant

I have a small seepage of oil somewhere on the lower front of my starboard engine. It’s not much right now (never had to add oil) but I suspect it will get worse over time.

Anyway, is there any chance this is anything than the front main seal? If so what else could it be? If not, is this seal replaceable without dropping the oil pan? If so, what is the process?

Any advice on next steps while the boat is on the hard?

TIA

Jeff

the line on the picture denotes where the actual oil appears (not just the light spray)

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Front seal leak is rather uncommon as far as I am aware. It is done thru the front cover, the pan stays put. Hmm, if pics are difficult access may be an issue. Need to pull the crank pulley at a minimum. Those who are fluent at doing this can do with the timing cover in place, otherwise all gets stripped from the front of the engine and the timing cover gets removed. I would be 100% as to identifying the source before tearing into it. Is your CCV in order and your oil not overfilled?

Jeffrey Cohen
    Participant

the line represents the area where the engine has oil on it as opposed to some light spray.

Anyway the belt guard is off (otherwise I would probably not even know about this issue yet) but there is only about 6″ between the front of the engine and the bulkhead so pictures will be difficult but I will try.

If I had to change the main seal is this doable without pulling the engine?

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Not really following the line thing.. Best would be to remove the belt guard and take really good pictures (close up and a bit farther back) this way we can see exactly what you are seeing. Then the normal M.O. with this kind of issue is to clean all 100% and monitor closely..

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.