• Creator
    Topic

John
    Participant

Hello All,

I would like to start performing my own oil changes. I am at the 75 hour mark since the last change.

Engines: Cummins 6BTA 5.9 330hp @ 2800
    Hours: 1,051 for each engine

I have been trying to identify a step by step process for the oil change protocol, but have not had any luck.

For example, what hardware are you using to extract the oil? I have located various oil change kits on West Marine and Amazon etc…, but I wanted to see what the community has been using.

Under Tony’s tips i do see the information sheet “oil pan capacities for cummins marine engines”….

Any other assistance and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    John

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Nauti-est
    Participant
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 370

Manifold block can be found at McMaster Carr. Parker hose is not really necessary but I believe in fabricating for the long haul and peace of mind, not just something to get by. I too remove the fuse when not in use, just a little insurance.
    Sorry so long in replying, just today found that notifications of postings have been going to junk mail.

quantimtheory
    Participant

Any update? How does it work?

Let us know. Looks so clean and simple

Ben Johnson
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Kokomo
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA-5.9 370 HP

THAT’S a great looking setup! Very nicely done! Where did you find the “block” where all the hoses and fittings screw into? Is that a standard product? Or something custom-made?

Thanks!
    Ben

Ben Johnson
    Participant

Graeme, I looked up that pump. Looks like a great pump! But it’s a pump! How did you plumb it all in – what did you connect the actual blue hoses to (and do you remember the fitting needed to screw into them). I assume you built out some sort of manifold with valves so you could determine which engine was being pumped? Just curious how you did that – sounds like a very cool project!

Graeme Walker
    Participant
    Vessel Name: A-MA-YI
    Engines: Twin Cummins 6BTA 330hp

I used a Marco UP3/OIL-R and got directly from Marco in Italy, they had $15 world wide shipping. This model has a reversal switch and has brass helical gears used for the pumping. I just tied it into an electrical connection and remove the local line fuse to prevent turning on inadvertently. Running all the hydraulic hoses so they look good took most of the time. I see that SBMar now has a ZF drain hose, will have to investigate that next year, hadn’t hooked up the transmission drain at this point.

Nauti-est
    Participant

I used 3/8ā€ Parker push loc fittings.

Nauti-est
    Participant

Owner built oil change system

I installed an inexpensive impeller pump an made a selector manifold to each engine, generator and a line for both transmissions. Engine lines come from the oil pan drain ports and the transmission line is inserted thru the filter opening as a dip tube. Open valve to whatever unit you want to pull oil from and turn pump on, discharge line goes to old oil jug for disposal. I could reverse it all for putting in fresh oil but choose not to, prefer hand pouring thru valve cover. My entire set up was less than $250.00 six years ago and not cost a dime since.

Ben Johnson
    Participant

Blue hose fitting

I was reading this thread and curious if anyone noted the fitting for that blue hose. What size fitting is it?

Thanks!

Bob Patterson
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Amber JJ
    Engines: Twin 370 6bta

Graeme where did you get your pump from?
    I did the same thing years ago On our twin engine Amberjack.I used a single direction pony pump from Princess Auto.The impeller was not made for oil but worked fine until the boat burned to the waterline when we were caught in a marina fire.
    I see it is a gear pump which I would like to use.
    Thanks Bob 2000 31Albin TE 370 Cummins x 2

Graeme Walker
    Participant
    Vessel Name: A-MA-YI
    Engines: Twin Cummins 6BTA 330hp

I made up my own oil pump, yet to install however. Used a Marco UP3/OIL-R oil pump and added fittings for engine+transmission x2 plus generator, ~$300 so far. Plan is to mount to a piece of Starboard and then bolt to convenient location in lazarette. I stole this idea from ‘mlewis100’ over at BaylinerOwnersClub.org.

1 user thanked author for this post.

dealerdominion
    Participant

After oil change always use oil change reminder stickers https://dealermarketingsupplies.com/collections/custom-oil-change-stickers-reminder they should help to remind the next oil change date. thanks

John
    Participant

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the reply and suggestions.

Appreciated…

John

Paul Diggins
    Participant

I bought a 12 volt fuel transfer pump from Harbor Freight for $100.
    Hook it up to the blue hose coming out of the oil pan
    On the port engine I needed to make the hose longer
    At Home Depot I bought a coupling and a flexible water line about 18ā€ long
    Works great

John
    Participant

Brian and Tom,

Many thanks for the replies and information….I appreciate it.

I didn’t think that I needed a $1,000 (parts and installl labor) reverso (although, let’s not kid ourselves it would make life easier and I suppose pay for itself after 3-4 years of oil changes) but I don’t know how long I will own this boat and that money needs to be used in other places.

Thank you again!

John
    Oxnard, CA

firehoser75
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA M3-330 HP

John,
    The pump that Brian showed in his photos is what I used on my sailboat. It will work fine, but would require stopping and emptying several times, then “restarting” the pump. This pump is relatively inexpensive and I found it to work well, but it does take a bit of time due to the small diameter “hose” used to extract the oil through the dipstick tube.
    Tom

Brian Katz
    Participant

I use a vacuum pump like this. It pulls a gallon at a time so I empty it into a five gallon bucket a few times. Nothing fancy but it works.

John
    Participant

Hi Glenn111 – thank you for the reply and information. I appreciate your time and information.

glenn111
    Participant

I do not have a oil-change pump installed in my engine room of the 330’s. I use the “professional oil changer” from West Marine and connect it to the blue hose that Rob mentioned. I use it for the generator also. Dump it into a 5 gal bucket and take it to an oil recovery facility. In the long run, it’s probably better to install a permanent one.

John
    Participant

Thank you firehoser75….much appreciated for your time.

I’d like to try and avoid a $1,000 bill for hardware and installation of a reverso.

I was hoping there was a way to change my oil via a simple hand pump or using a jabsco pump etc…

I see some folks on other engines using a hand pump, but since I have never done this before I was looking for step by instructions so i dont mess it up šŸ™‚

Richard G Cook
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 M3 330hp

Richard,

Tom is right on ā€¦. Itā€™s all here, read through this: https://www.sbmar.com/articles/oil-pan-capacities-for-cummins-marine-engines/

Thanks Rob,
    Richard

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.