• Creator
    Topic

Mike Steward
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins 6CTA

I changed oil and filters this weekend ( A pair of Cummins 6CTA(s) in a 2001 Sea Ray 400 Sedan Bridge. On the portside motor I noticed there is some oil coming out behind the water filter. There seems to be a plate of some sort and oil had been coming out and landing on the top of the filter. I will try to get a photo. I also noticed after the oil change that the port motor is dropping to what looks like @10psi at idle. I plan on checking the main gauge on the motor itself at idle later today and will get a picture of the area where the oil is coming from while I’m down there.

Any ideas on what may be leaking behind the water filter.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Mike Steward
    Participant

Yes. Thank you Rob.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Okay, glad I posted the parts diagram and associated part numbers.

Mike Steward
    Participant

Thank you

Thank you guys. I took WF filter off and did a quick clean (but a good clean) in that area. It appears that oil is seeping out of the oil cooler gasket. I guess they can fail over time. It looks fairly straight forward to remove the outer cover and replace the gasket. I made sure the 10mm bolts were all tight in hopes that it was a loose bolt, but it was not. Tony I will get to work on cleaning up the engine room and painting too. It is time.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Listen to me and don’t question…….

1) Shut off the 2 valves ( solidly) on each side of the WF coolant filter..

2) Remove the WF filter– and save it if it was close to new.

3) Buy some good spray degreaser ( Simple Green or ????) .. Does not matter.. Just get something that works at the local Autozone..

4) Spray away 10-20 times and rinse as needed until 100% of all oil is gone..Multiple times………………………………. Let it all dry–1-2 days??

5) Buy some good paint ( spray or ??) and do a 1st class paint job in that area..From what I “see” your engine(s) need some serious TLC anyway..

6) Let it all dry a few days, and then do what you do for a few trips WITHOUT the WF filter in place , or installed..

Then, WWM.. You will find the leak if you do as I say..

BTW–YOU DO NOT even need the WF.. You could remove the hoses, fitting lines. etc.. Just test you coolant now and then every 500 Hours..

The new QSC’s do not even come with one.. Yours is a carry over from the “trucks”, and IMO, is not needed in any marine application.

If you want to take the WF system further and remove the WF filter and all the associated hardware, bracket, & plumbing , let me now and I’l guide you thru that sequence…

Tony

Mike Steward
    Participant

Thanks again. I’ll report back.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

See attached – these should help you get an idea as to how the setup goes together. Like Phil said, clean everything as clean as you can and monitor it closely and hopefully the origin will be found.

Mike Steward
    Participant

Port serial # 46100005 @ 1,400 hours
    It has had oil there prior to the oil change. It just got my attention at a higher level when I spent some close up time down there during the oil/filter time. – Thank you

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35’ Cabo ‘FUGA’
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540’s

Just to confirm there was zero oil on top of the water filter until you ran it post filter change? If so then something you did while changing filters is leaking.

That bolt is just the lowest point where the oil is collecting into a drip. Your photos show oil higher and trailing down so get it all cleaned up perfect – your leak is higher up than that bolt. You may have to remove the filters to get access to clean as high as you can. You need to get it clean at least to above the top of the filter.

Lots of places it could be leaking from…. filter gasket, oil filter housing, oil lines, oil cooler (they can crack the cover or gasket fail).

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

Could be the oil cooler leaking at one of the two gaskets. There is a gasket behind the oil cooler cover and then another gasket behind the core. Come back with your engine serial number.

Mike Steward
    Participant

Thank you Phillip. Just to elaborate a little more, I just changed all the filters and cleaned that area with a few shop rags. The old water filter (like the new one in the photo has now) had some oil sitting on top of it. This was from wherever the leak is. So the motors have new filters and had a clean area. After about 3 hours of running the oil built back up in the area. The oil filter seems to have no leaks or drips. It seems like it is coming from the bolt in the picture behind the water filter in the photo. I can take take the water filter back off and clean super good behind it where the leak seems to be and then camp out down there for a bit while running. I just wasn’t sure if there was a seal or o-ring of something back there that may be know to leak or a sign of something going bad.

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35’ Cabo ‘FUGA’
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540’s

It’s really hard to tell anything. Very possibly a leaking oil filter from the past or residue from previous oil changes,

My best advice would clean it all up well (spend the time with a brush to get it really clean) and watch it.

Make sure the oil filter is tightened properly – it’s printed right on the fleetguard filter.

Phil

Mike Steward
    Participant

Two more I ment to add.

Mike Steward
    Participant

Pictures of the leak area

Here are a few pictures. Thank you for checking this out for me.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Need those Pictures so we can “see” what you “see’… Clear & in-focus……….

I’ve lost count about how many posts I have made about “low OP” questions/concerns at a low idle when the engines are hot…………………. Never been an issue and is 100% normal, plus 10 PSI is not low.. But, do check with a mechanical gauge..

Tony

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.