• Creator
    Topic

Ron Kasel
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Excelsior
    Engines: 8.3 CTA M3

Hi,

I have a 6CTA8.3-M3. My oil analysis came back showing high levels of sodium, silicone and potassium. The report says to check for source of coolant leak and repair. It also says inspection for source of wear may be warranted at this time.

The oil analysis is attached.

My questions are:

Are these levels high enough to require immediate action?

The Cummins troubleshooting and repair manual lists the oil cooler as the most likely cause. Is this a fairly straightforward part to replace? Looks to be from what I can see in the manual but I’ve never replaced one and would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks for your help!

Ron

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Ron Kasel
    Participant

Thanks Tony

I’ll get my technician going on servicing the aftercooler per your protocol.
    Photos to come!

Thanks again for your help!

Ron

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

#1 (ref #3)——Your aftercooler has never been serviced……

Case closed……………………….

Get it off the engine and on the bench.. Service/test as needed per my protocol.. Articles on this site…………Hopefully, it is serviceable. I want pics of the core & the inside of housing, and the ends of the housings where the sealing surface is.

After installing, run for a couple of hours (not at the dock) , change the oil and sample again in 100 hours (although probably a waste of time and $$)

Tony

Ron Kasel
    Participant

Answers to Tony’s questions.

1. I changed the oil and finally remembered to take a sample. We’ve owned the boat for 2 years and the last sample was taken then. I’ve attached a copy of that analysis.

2. Just a random sample.

3. Aftercooler was inspected by my technician in June 2018. He removed the end caps, checked the core, found it good. Cleaned the tubes and reassembled.

4. I have not had to add coolant in the last 50 hrs. I did add about a quart right after he serviced the aftercooler but none since.

5. The last 3 times I’ve started it after it’s sat for awhile it takes a little longer to fire off and runs a little rough for maybe 15 or 20 seconds.

Thanks so much for your help Tony!

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Ron,

1) Why did you decide to take an oil sample?

2) Random or have you taken one before you are looking for a trend?

3) Last time the aftercooler was serviced properly?

4) In the last 50 hours of use, have you had to add coolant?

5) If the vessel had be sitting for a few days or more, on a cold morning how easy does the engine start?

Tony

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.