• Creator
    Topic

Dave Galehouse
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Castalia
    Engines: Cummins 6c8.3

Hello,

I have two 6c8.3 Cummins engines in my boat (boat is a 2005). Boat was new to us last year. I started to notice some small amounts of oil accumulation in the air filters during the summer. I don’t have a ton of history on the boat maintenance wise, but the oil samples at survey came back good and the boat runs very well with no issues.

I came across this article which seems to describe issues with the B series engine, but I was trying to find out what I might be able to look at/diagnose?

EnviroVent Crankcase Ventilation (CCV) for Cummins Marine Diesels

Thank you

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dave Galehouse
    Participant

Tony,

we purchased this boat last winter from a person in Connecticut who only owned it one season. We don’t have a ton of history on it maintenance wise, but my broker knows the previous owner before the CT owner and we were told he took good care of the boat and that money was never an issue. I am in the process of trying to track down some maintenance records. I have a Cummins certified mechanic going through it in the next few weeks and helping me getting it ready for spring.

I appreciate your help.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

This is what I’d do:

Take off the Airsep and clean all 100% including the filter ( Go to an automotive speed shop and buy a K&N cleaning kit)…………….Remove the air side of the turbo and clean all that too using a paint brush and some good solvent –Blade, housing and air pipes….

Remove the Airsep drain line and check the 1-way valve at the bottom.. Be 100% sure that it works with just the “gravity of oil above” it as to it draining, and, does not allow air pressure to let air back up the valve–I don’t like the system, but it is what it is..

Put it all back together and WWM over the next 100 hours or so..

New aftercoolers? Tell me the history as to why?

Tony

donald roth
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Paumalu
    Engines: Cummins 6BT 180 hp

Just a thought here
    Have you read the articles on this site re oil level and dipstick calibration?
    Many problems like the one you describe are no fault of the CCV, but are due to overfilling the crankcase.

William Walter
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Positive rate
    Engines: Cummings 480ce

Airsep

Dave will be interested in what Tony says also .i believe that no matter how much tilt you have there it will not get to that drain because to get to drain is internal to the airsep and the filter where it meets the airsep is external. That being said if it’s coming from the blow by side.That’s why I suggested a leak in the seam. You may also be picking up oil in engine room which would acumulate there if you have it tilted down.be interesting to see what the experts say.Bill

Dave Galehouse
    Participant

Tony,

as requested here are some photos. In a brief discussion with our marina mechanic (he was a diesel mechanic in the Coast Guard but isn’t a “cummins mechanic”). He thinks, the very slight canted angle of the air filter and housing is not allowing oil vapor from the vapor/blow-by hose to funnel back down the sump hose. The housing is almost horizontal, but the air filter springs were a little loose and the air filter was angled down slightly and I think that’s why the little oil vapor that was in there was slowly pooling at the other end of the air filter over time.

But I would appreciate your input.

Thank you

Dave

Tony Athens

All is good!

Tony

Dave Galehouse
    Participant

Tony, I apologize for not having photos right now. The boat is wrapped up 60 miles away from me. I will try to get some in the next week or so.

Tony Athens

Walker AirSep issues??

Dave,

If you want real help, we need to SEE what you SEE.. Also, I need to see the complete installation of the AirSep showin all the plumbing to and from it..

Put in the effort and I’ll tell you the solution.

Tony

William Walter
    Participant

Blowback

Dave i would go to the walker site .they can explain it a lot better then I could.some oil in the airsep is normal but what happens is it drains back into the pan through a hose attached to the airsep which leads to a Ck valve.sometimes this check valve fails but I’ve heard that’s pretty rare.my leak was coming from a seam in the airsep that was leaking this oil.it would accumulate at bottom where rubber gasket hits airsep.picture is of the drain hose at bottom and the damage I had.

Dave Galehouse
    Participant

I don’t quite understand the scenario you described. Where is the oil originating from. Blowback? Mist in engine room?

William Walter
    Participant

Air sep

Dave I have had trouble with oil leaking from the airsep also.my boat is a 2003 480 ce with walker air sep. If you call walker they were helpful to me in problem solving my issue. Seems the airsep developes a crack in a seam where the unit is joined and this will lead to a leak.I believe there is a repair kit for a fix.i was told the airsep had a finite life because of the baffling on my model..I did replace one because of the leak and prior damage.This may or may not be your problem but I would call them.Bill

Dave Galehouse
    Participant

I noticed it last summer by seeing a small spot of oil in the engine room on the floor. It was dripping from the bottom of the air filter where the metal cover meets the end of the filter held on by the three spring hooks. The only current photo I have of the air filter is attached, though not sure it helps.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Not too sure what you mean by “small amounts of oil accumulation in the air filters” ?

Have some pics of your setup including the CCV setup?

Are you running the oil at proper level? Have you read through this:

https://www.sbmar.com/articles/oil-pan-capacities-for-cummins-marine-engines/

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.