• Creator
    Topic

Justin Murphy
    Participant

I am doing some preventative maint. and replacing the mag. switch on my 370hp 6bta after I was losing voltage due to some corrosion (cleaned off terminals and fixed the problem but bought the switch you sell here for peace of mind). My boat does not have the neutral safety circuit hooked up and I am interested in remedying. I have looked at the wiring diagrams here and can’t seem to figure out how to wire it. I have two leads from my ZF HSW 800 V drive, do these wire into the mag switch? I have a red wire near the mag switch that is not hooked up, I would imagine this is one of those leads but I haven’t toned it out with my multi meter yet. Can you provide any help on where to wire the leads? Thank you in advance!!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Justin Murphy
    Participant

A quick update, I ended up running two new wires to the switch on the transmission and wired them in series with the yellow/red to the mag switch. I could not find the original wires that were hooked up, they run into the wire loom and not sure where they ended up. I toned them and one was grounded somewhere. Works as it should now and my voltage issue is solved with a new switch and new heat shrink terminations on the the wiring harness. Thanks guys.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

Not that’s its absolutely necessary but you can loop (in series) either the 12V side or the NEG side of the mag switch coil (small terminals) through the neutral safety switch if one or the other is more accessible…

Justin Murphy
    Participant

Thank you, yep I will confirm that the switch is operating as intended with the multi meter.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

First confirm that you have continuity across the two leads on the neutral switch when the gear is in neutral and then move the lever into gear to verify that the switch opens (continuity is lost). This will confirm that the switch is operating as it should.

At the mag switch find the small wire that gets 12V from the start button (yel/red). Wire the neutral switch in series with that wire.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.