• Creator
    Topic

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35’ Cabo ‘FUGA’
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540’s

Just installed 2 new aftercoolers and at the same time took the opportunity to install fresh water flushing. I do NOT have a water lift muffler and I have a good exhaust design which allowed me to design and install an engine OFF flush system. I had a stainless bung welded into the stainless water pipe between the sea water pump and gear/fuel cooler. 

This is the initial install and I will plumb to a manifold so I hook the hose up once and can select one engine at a time to flush. I am also going to include the generator but that has to be an engine ON flush since the generator has a water lift muffler.

Here is an initial picture of the engine flush. I will post some finished pictures once I get it all plumbed next weekend.

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Replies

wayne
    Participant
    Engines: cummins 330 6BTA diamonds seies

possibly out the PSS cooling line ? as that would still be open

The Kopptain
    Participant

Help for a newb on my flush setup

Hi all, I have Cummins 480CE engines which is similar to the 6CTA. Based on ideas from this thread and others, I built a recirculation system to flush my raw water system with barnacle buster. I placed my connection just after the raw water pump and just prior to exhaust right after the heat exchanger. Prior to adding the barnacle buster, I used a 5 gallon bucket of water and place both the pickup and returns into the same bucket. The issue I am having is the system continues to take on water meaning that the water seem to be going somewhere. I am not entirely sure as I am disconnected from the exhaust and do not see any leaks. Even know the return was going back into the same bucket, I needed to continue to add water to the bucket. Any ideas where this water could be going?

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Michael, that is exactly what Woo did. Did you watch the video. And he ran the system with the intake hose not installed on the pump to show that the impeller did hold back 99% of the flush water from going down and out.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Woo

Michael McKinney
    Participant

Just curious…

Why would I want to flush the suction side of the system? There’s nothing to corrode. If you instead put the flush system on the output side of the impeller, wouldn’t that displace all the salt water without having any risk of back flow? And no running the engines. The impeller should block all of the fresh water from going out. Flush away!

Let me know your thoughts.

Mike Mason
    Participant
    Engines: Qsb 5.9 380

Thanks. Much appreciated. Mike.

Woo
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Obsession
    Engines: 6BTA5.9M3 (370) x 2

I purchased new directly from a Yamaha PWC dealer. Sorry, I did not note the part numbers.
    However, they were expensive new, but, Ebay has many 2nd hand ones available. Remember, you need the two parts, bith the female, which is mounted to the boat, and the male, which attached to your dock hose and pushes into the female receptacle to open the one-way valve.
    Here is a link to an ebay search, hope it works. https://www.ebay.ca/sch/Parts-Accessories/6028/i.html?_vxp=mtr&Brand=Yamaha&_nkw=flush+hose

I have attached a picture of my pair of female side prior to mounting them in the cockpit bulkhead.

Mike Mason
    Participant
    Engines: Qsb 5.9 380

Trying to locate those one way valves. Any idea on part#. Thanks. Mike.

Woo
    Participant

Thanks mate…. How about a video?

Philip
    Participant

Woo

Very nice. Can you post how you plumbed the connection at the sea water pump.

I like the connection at deck level and might do something similar when I find the right setup.

Phil

Woo
    Participant

Nice work – our minds think alike.

I have had mine setup similar for a two years now. It has been faultless.

Even our engine rooms look similar, sparkling white with blue silicone and stainless 🙂

Only things I did different was plumbed a tap and fitting directly to the outlet side of the salt water pump. The valve is ONLY there for an emergency situation if something unusual was to fail.
    And, instead of a valve in the engine room, I used two (twin engines) neat Yamaha jet ski fresh water flush one-way valves to connect the dock hose to from the cockpit. That just allows me to suds up the boat while the motors are flushed. Also means I don’t need to dive into the engine room to connect anything.

Philip
    Participant

Exhaust

Tom –

My exhaust comes out of the turbo, over a good hump, into the downward facing shower head, a surge tube, and an inline muffler.

See attached pictures. I confirmed this design was safe to flush engine off style with the Seaboard guys when I was designing.

Tom Bartolomei
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Doghouse - 48' Sabre Salon Express
    Engines: Twin QSC 8.3

When able or convenient, can you post some pictures of your entire exhaust system?

Tom

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

Lucky Boat..

She’s a lucky boat – looks like the prior owner was real good about keeping things in ship shape and you’re obviously doing the same.

Philip
    Participant

Rob,

She is a 2007 that I have owned for 1 year and am going thru and making new or better the seaboard way!

On the outboard engine I am going to use some 1″ double wall wire reinforced trident hose a to get the valve towards the inside and more accessible. Once I get it all done I will get some more pictures up. Also doing the generator…

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

And if your exhaust design was not so good your turbo could probably use a little freshwater flush from time to time!

I’m sure you have this all figured out, but  the shutoff valve on the engine that has the raw water pump on the outboard side is not mounted as in your picture, correct?  It would seem to not be easily accessible…

Sure looks like you are doing it right in keeping the effects of marine age out of that ER.  What year is she and how long you owned?

Philip
    Participant

With the flush plumbed AFTER the sea water pump I don’t need to run my engines, so no I will not burn up the impellors. You just have to ensure your exhaust system design will support flushing with engine off.

gary
    Participant

Won’t you burn up seawater impeller from lack of water? You are flushing with engines running? Curious 

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.