• Creator
    Topic

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35’ Cabo ‘FUGA’
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540’s

So I wanted to give everyone some initial feedback on Mobilfluid 424 use in marine transmissions. When I bought by boat a few years back I wasn’t completely convinced my electronic trolling valves were working 100% as good as they should or could. When in trolling mode adjustment of trolling speed was inconsistent and difficult at best. One of the things suggested was a switch to Mobilfluid 424 which is advertised as a tractor and hydraulic transmission oil for heavy duty industrial use.

I began researching the stuff and all the specifications trying to educate myself on each specification parameter and what was good or bad. This proved to be more daunting and detailed than I ever thought – oil specifications are very complex. But google and Wikipedia are amazing tools and I gleaned just enough knowledge to convince myself the stuff meets or exceed all the ZF specs.

One thing I learned (Thanks Tony) is that transmission gear oil weight ratings (this stuff is advertised around 80wt) are NOT the same as engine oil weight ratings. Matter of fact this 80wt gear oil is close to SAE30 engine oil which makes sense as ZF spec is straight 30wt for my transmission.

So off I went and changed my transmission oil using the Mobilfluid 424 and new Fleetguard filters. I now have about 10 hours of run time on the fresh oil and long story short the stuff works!

Right off the bat my transmission operating temps dropped from ~134° and are closer to ~124° a 10° drop with the same water temps and operating conditions – I didn’t change anything else besides oil/filter.

Shifting seems to be smoother, not as jarring of an engagement. The transmission seems smoother at idle rpms.

AND the trolling valves are working MUCH better. I now have good adjustment during trolling valve operation.

Bottom line is my initial operating experience is Mobilfluid 424 works!

Phil

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Philip
    Participant

Let us know how you like (or dislike) the Mobilfluid. It’s good to get multiple opinions!

Phil

John
    Participant
    Engines: QSCs

Thanks Phil,

Think I’ll do the same.

J

Philip
    Participant

John

The Mobilfluid has performed perfectly over time. As stated in my initial review operating temp, engagement, and trolling valve performance are all improved.

I have had no complaints with Mobilfluid and plan to continue its use for the foreseeable future.

When I switched to Mobilfluid I cleaned the shift and trolling solenoid screens as well as the filter screen under the large nut on the port side of the transmission. I also changed the transmission filter.

Phil

1 user thanked author for this post.

John
    Participant
    Engines: QSCs

Quick question pls

Hi Philip,

Couple questions – looking to change out my fluid and wondering…

So it’s been a year, how is the stuff holding up? Going to keep using it? Noticeable long term benefits?

Also, does your trans have that oil filter screen that the 280s have?

Cheers and hope all is going well,

J

Philip
    Participant

There has got to be a valid argument that an oil formulated for wet clutch transmissions has got to be better in the long run on the clutch and transmission.

It’s not easy to get your hands on, but I ordered online for ~$90 for 5 gallons. That’s comparable to 30wt engine oil and I didn’t have to leave my couch,

I’ll be running the oil over the summer and will report back my experiences.

Phil

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Mobilfluid 424 for wet clutch transmissions

Appreciate the feed back.. On paper, this oil has some amazing properties when used in wet clutch applications, and from what you have experienced, it seems the claims are valid.. The few times I have used it, we have had a “positive” experience..

For sure, SAE HD 30W works 99% + of the time, but logic would tell me that is not specifically formulated to work in wet clutch gears where the clutch disks operate in the “oil shear mode” ( both during engagement & in the trolling mode) & meet all of the desirable properties needed..

There is more to oil than just proper lubrication when it come to marine gears…

Tony

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.