• Creator
    Topic

Jon
    Participant
    Vessel Name: HannahSea
    Engines: 2

I am interested in replacing my Mercury marine smart craft computer. I have a 2009 Meridian with twin 5.9 cummins diesels. I have been told that because I also have a DTS throttle control system that I cannot replace the smart craft with an after market system. Is that true? What are my options?

Thanks,

Jon Arnold

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

Those are just the displays, correct? What about swapping to straight j1939 controls and removing the full smartcraft system?

The system referenced above will replace everything SmartCraft on your boat physically including the harnessing and start/stop key(s), etc.

ynoty3k
    Participant
    Vessel Name: cosi e
    Engines: 5.9 Qsb

Those are just the displays, correct? What about swapping to straight j1939 controls and removing the full smartcraft system?

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator

You can read about the kits on the website: https://www.sbmar.com/product/smx-seaview-j1939-digital-display-kit/

ynoty3k
    Participant
    Vessel Name: cosi e
    Engines: 5.9 Qsb

Another option is to go the full SMX. I had a failure of my vessel view display and decided to upgrade to SMX. It was quite simple to replace the harnesses and I had no problems with my digital throttle system (Glendinning). You will lose your analog instruments, but you gain a lot more space at the helm station. The main benefit of the SMX system is its simplicity, J1939 data all the way. I have attached a photo of my helm station and all the smart craft wiring I removed.

What was the rough cost of swapping to the SMX only j1939 harness? I think my smartcraft has killed the port side as I’m having oil pressure and throttle position errors on that side. Already swapped out the throttle binnacle and the issue follows whichever motor is hooked up to “port” on the smart craft.

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator

For a TWIN engine setup you would need TWO displays kits….

tomadrian
    Participant

Corey,

If replacing the dieselview for a twin engine setup are 2 seaview displays required to see data from both engines or can one display be toggled between engines or show basic date for each engine on the same display?

Steve
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Cabrillo
    Engines: QSB 5.9 425hp

sweet deal. iā€™m good. Thank You

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator

Do you have gauges that look like the attached picture on your dash somewhere? If not, you’re 100% good to go…

Steve
    Participant

Corey,

I’m about ready to purchase the upgrade kit but saw I this in the narrative…. “If the vessel has the analog style SC1000 gauge package, the Dieselview must remain connected in order to continue to drive the gauges.”

Naturally, I’d prefer to trash the old Dieselview display and do the straight swap BUT….How would I know if I have the analog style sc1000 gauge package?

Thank You,
    Steve

Steve
    Participant

OK. As soon as i chase down my current electronics gremlin, the SMX will replace my rapidly fading smartcraft…Thank You

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator

Sirs,

I thought the options to replace the old smartcraft were either the VesselView (simple swap at the helm station, harness identical) or SMX (complete rewiring from the helm station to the engine). But Corey states one can do a SmartCraft to SMX screen replacement at the helm without the helm to engine rewiring? Did I get that right?

Thanks,

Steve

Yes, that is correct… we have a kit that allows you to just replace the SCREEN with our SMX panel. We even sell the kit will an option pre-CNC starboard frame to make the physical easy.

https://www.sbmar.com/product/smartcraft-to-smx-digital-display-upgrade-kit/

Steve
    Participant

Sirs,
    I thought the options to replace the old smartcraft were either the VesselView (simple swap at the helm station, harness identical) or SMX (complete rewiring from the helm station to the engine). But Corey states one can do a SmartCraft to SMX screen replacement at the helm without the helm to engine rewiring? Did I get that right?
    Thanks,
    Steve

Scott Lambert
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Old Man River
    Engines: Cummins QSB 5.9

Another option is to go the full SMX. I had a failure of my vessel view display and decided to upgrade to SMX. It was quite simple to replace the harnesses and I had no problems with my digital throttle system (Glendinning). You will lose your analog instruments, but you gain a lot more space at the helm station. The main benefit of the SMX system is its simplicity, J1939 data all the way. I have attached a photo of my helm station and all the smart craft wiring I removed.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator

SmartCraft to SMX

In my opinion, the best replacement to pursue without having to change ANY physical wiring is to place one of our SMX digital panels in place of your current screen.

More info here: https://www.sbmar.com/product/smartcraft-to-smx-digital-display-upgrade-kit/

Jon
    Participant
    Vessel Name: HannahSea
    Engines: 2

I have analog gauges plus the smart craft digital screen. I only want to replace the digital screen.

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator

What EXACT displays do you currently have on your boat? Are you looking to only replace the digital screens but keep everything else intact?

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.