• Creator
    Topic

Rick Smith
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Namaste'
    Engines: Twin Cummins Diesels 6BTA 5.9 330

Having issues with randomly I go to start my starboard engine, turn the key on and nothing. No preheat light, no engine alarm light no instruments (gas gauge, oil pressure gauge etc. on my helm) its as if I never turned the key on and can not start the engine. I then turn it off try again and all functions are fine. This is very random?

I replaced my ignition switch and thought it was resolved but next day after many start and stops it has started back once again? After reading many blogs I was thinking the mag switch which is mounted on my engine under the starter it is pretty old and corroded. When I cleaned corrosion from all connections it seems to not happen as much. My question is, if it was a bad intermittent sticking mag switch and I turn my ignition switch to its first position would I still have no instruments on my helm come on? I can understand it not starting but not sure if the mag switch would cause my instrument not to function in the keys first position

Any thoughts to assist in troubleshooting are appreciated

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

10 Amp Engine Mounted Circuit Breaker

“….was surprised at how it takes out the whole harness and effects many things”

Yup, if it goes or connections come loose it’s just like turning of the key switch!

Rick Smith
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Namaste'
    Engines: Twin Cummins Diesels 6BTA 5.9 330

Problem Solved by replacing the 10amp Breaker

Thx Tony!

Ordered from Seaboard and replace the Red 10 amp breaker along with connectors problem solved. After looking at the wiring diagram, was surprised at how it takes out the whole harness and effects many things. I will replace the one on my port engine and have a spare on board!! Saw another post here that it should be part of your routine maintenance to check this breaker and connectors, very good advice.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Redo the connections of the following items:

1) The RED circuit breaker by the gear oil cooler

2) the harness plugs at the engine at at the dash.

Tony

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.