• Creator
    Topic

Nigel Kittow
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Mamma Mia
    Engines: 1996 6BT 210hp

Hi all,
    I would really appreciate some advice on a new problem. I have a Caribbean (Bertram) 32 with twin 6BT and ZF 63A transmissions. Several months ago I had a shaft seal replaced on the port gearbox, replacing the fluid with Shell Spirax ATF. The boat hasn’t been used since then until yesterday. The transmission pressure was low and flickering but it would go in to both forward and reverse ok though I suspect at times I had some slippage.. Today again the pressure is very low and variable and it won’t engage into forward or reverse.
    Fluid levels OK.
    Any suggestions gratefully received
    Many thanks?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Nigel Kittow
    Participant

Replacement sender

I see you have a VDO transmission sender listed as 28 bar/400psi. Would this be a suitable replacement for a 25 bar 360 psi VDO sender in the ZF 63a of mine?
    Thanks

Nigel Kittow
    Participant

Sender thread size

Thanks guys. The filter in the problem engine had a paper internal pleat and had heaps more resistance than an all metal filter in the other engine. I was very lucky to find a replacement metal filter on the island so that has been replaced. Checked the pressure with a mechanical gauge and quickly apparent the electrical gauge/sender was faulty that also explained the fluctuations. Do you happen to have the thread size of the sender in the 63A?
    Appreciate once again your expert advice and support.???

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Be sure you’re cleaning the filter the right way. See my post # 17497 in this thread.

https://www.sbmar.com/community/topic/zf80a-high-iron-in-oil/

Nigel Kittow
    Participant

On the money

Thanks Tony. Cleaned the filter, which did not seem dirty but pressures climbed though they were still erratic at best. It was going in and out if gear though. I removed/replaced all the electrical connections on the sender and gauge and now have a steady pressure on the gauge at idle of 15bar though it was 17 and the other side us at 17bar. Seems I had a dirty filter with electrical issues.
    My plan is to swap the sendors over and check wether sender issue or circuit and replace all oil with 15w40. Also check with manual gauge that what you see us what you get.
    Appreciate your advice. Any further gratefully accepted. Like brain surgery, it’s easy when you know how?

Nigel Kittow
    Participant

Thanks Tony fir a prompt reply. . Will do. The transmission pressuregauge is electric and when the transmission pressure seemed low but it was working, I assumed I had an electrical problem. However now the pressure has dropped further on the gauge and it no longer goes into gear I started to believe it us telling the truth. I will check the pressure mechanically as well

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Remove and clean, or replace the filter……..Switch to HD 15W-40 Diesel engine oil and report back…….

What do you have that measures “PRESSURE”?

Tony

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.