• Creator
    Topic

j martin
    Participant

Newbie here,  really appreciate all the info here and Tony’s tips.

Looking at 2009 with twin Cummins QSC 8.3, 370 hours.  Problem is I would be the fourth owner, no maintenance records are available, and no one has done coolant service, ever, according to the broker.  Also makes me wonder what else they didn’t do….

Haven’t spent the money on surveys yet because I’m not sure it will provide important info about the aftercooler status, etc.  Oh, and they just changed the oil before listing her.

I’ve been looking for this boat for a couple of years and hate to give up on it but after reading this site and some others I’m wondering if the juice is worth the squeeze?  Or, should I keep looking.  

Thanks in advance for your input.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

j martin
    Participant

All great points, thank you Phil.

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35’ Cabo ‘FUGA’
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540’s

Hard to tell from your pictures as the resolution isn’t the greatest when you zoom in, but with the right adjustments in pricing anything is possible. Plan on $7k for new aftercoolers and either doing the service yourself or a mechanic about $7k in labor to change aftercoolers to new, don’t forget to disassemble and grease per the seaboard protocol, and to clean gear/oil cooler, clean and replace o rings in heat exchanger.

your exhaust is not the greatest design. It would be worth it to remove exhaust elbow at turbo and post pictures of the turbo blades. Might be worth a redesign at some point or you will have to watch it CLOSE. Hours don’t matter… age does!

your fuel,filtration should be upgraded as well for sure, but that’s not big $$$ maybe $1,000 or so for a good seaboard SMX setup. 

Probably need new batteries also at their age so plan for that as well.

lets see what others have to say as their eyes, experience and wisdom are keener than mine that are still learning. 

Nice rig.

phil

j martin
    Participant

More pics

j martin
    Participant

here are the engine pics, not certain how to ge them directly to you Tony.

j martin
    Participant

Thank you Tony.  Will do.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Take really good pictures from all around and post them here, but also send direct to me in high res a .jpg attachments…………Assume the aftercooler will need replacement and the rest of the seawater side will need a full service..

Don’t give a 2nd though to the coolant..

Let’s start there.

Tony

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.