• Creator
    Topic

NinasRevenge
    Participant

I recently got a 3/4″ dock line wrapped in my prop while going forward at idle speed. The line wrapped between the prop and the rear strut, seizing the shaft and causing the motor to stall/shut down. Once I got the line out, the engine fired back up and gear seems to be fine. Engine is a 6CTA, Gear is a twin disc MG5061A 1.75:1.
    What if any internal damage could this have caused to the engine or gear? Thanks in advance.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

NinasRevenge
    Participant

We hauled out and found that there is damage to the cutlass bearing. The shaft has some play and the seal is gone. Having bearing replaced and hope to be back in the water soon.

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35’ Cabo ‘FUGA’
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540’s

The engine should be fine and unless your transmission is overheating, have weird sounds or shift different I’d say that’s fine also. Any issues would show rapidly under load post incident.

Always good to haul and check the running gear. Sounds like your good.

Phil

NinasRevenge
    Participant

Thanks for the responses. On plane everything seems fine. We are going to haul out to check the running gear for any misalignment. My concern is any damage that is not visible. Is it possible to do any damage to the bearings and cam shaft from a sudden stop at idle speed due to restriction of the shaft? I would think that the transmission would receive damage before the engine? Everything seems to be running fine with no unusual noises. Thanks.

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35’ Cabo ‘FUGA’
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540’s

Also pay close attention for any vibration that could indicate a bent shaft or shaft alignment issue.

Phil

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

At idle speed my thought would be not to worry. Have you brought her up on plane yet to feel her out and keep an eye on the shaft and seal assembly for any movement? A line on a strut can burn out a cutlass bearing because it inhibits the water flow but that should not apply here if this was a quickie at idle speed…

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.