• Creator
    Topic

Wayne Sos
    Participant
    Vessel Name: JoAnn V
    Engines: 6BTA 370 Diamond Series

Just completed the install of my SMX analog for Cummins.  This was not a plug and play as it is on a 2006 Meridian and I had to make up a harness.  Everything except the oil pressure works fine but the oil pressure is pegged at 150 PSI.  The oil pressure sender is a single wire sender and I don’t see any additional wires on the engines near the sender   Previous gauge was Faria  

I verified that the ground is good by running a temp wire from the black wire on the gauge directly to the engine block.  No change.  If I directly ground the blue sender wire the gauge goes to zero.  Verified that sending wire from the engine to the gauge is good by removing the wire from the sender and applying ground. Gauge went to zero. 

Need some guidance.  

1.  Does zero ohms indicate no oil pressure?   If yes, do  I need to change the sender?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

Wayne, the version that you see on the product page is the older software version that “looks” different and doesn’t have a lot of the new features incorporated…

Wayne Sos
    Participant

Programming Question

I’ve been able to edit a few pages easily. How do I establish a page similar to the

One shown on your site with a larger tach on top with the hour meter and oil pressure
    and coolant temp below. Is this possible? Any help would be appreciated.

The N2K data works great. It was more work setting up the info on the Simrad
    then the entire install LOL

Wayne

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

Great news! Can’t wait to see the pics of the install…

Wayne Sos
    Participant

Install Complete

Update. Ā Installed the correct sensors and all works as advertised. Ā The displays are bright and the gauges are accurate. Ā Interface to the N2K network was simple and I am able to display all the analog data on my other displays. . I’m going to post the install instructions on the Meridian Yacht Owners forum this week as several members are considering installing them also. Ā I out together a wiring color code chart to match up the Meridian wiring to the SMX connections and what to splice when the key switch is removed.Ā 

Thanks again. Ā Great upgrade for my boat.Ā 

Wayne Sos
    Participant

Tony. Ā Thanks for the quick response and confirming the problem. Ā I looked at the sender this morning and saw there is another wire stuffed in the terminal boot which was off. Ā  Will order the correct senders now. Ā The next challenge is finding a 4′ tall 6″ wide tech to change the port engine sender cause this old guy ain’t gettin in there!

BTW you guys are very easy to deal with.

Thanks Ā 

Wayne

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Your OP sender IS NOT the VDO sender that works with ours or the standard factory panel. Yours is a OEM sender specific to the old instruments you replaced.. Ā  Look at the SMX panel page on the WEB site–It’s all there.

You need a VDO 0-150 psi single station floating ground (2-wire) Ā sender

Tony

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.