• Creator
    Topic

james
    Participant

We spotted some tiny weeping from one of the stock cummins elbows, and decided time to replace before big problems occur.

We are going with a new design, but one that will fit pretty close to the existing foot print. The approach we are taking is a dry 90 elbow with insulating wrap, with a 4 inch long shower head at the end of the 90. That takes the injection point well below the turbo outlets, and ensures that gravity is always working on our side.

The boat is a Tiara 4000E, and the exhaust after the water lift goes as high as possible in the engine room then exits the sides of the boat. There is water retained in the mufflers and associated hoses a little higher in the plumbing than I would like, but given my fresh water flushing regime, I don’t think there is an issue with salt vapor.

If budget were unlimited, space not a consideration, I would prefer to have an dry exhaust which went to the very top of the engine room, then had a shower head pretty low, but that is simply not practical in our engine room.

Do folks see egregious gaps in judgement on this installation approach?

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

james
    Participant

Update, no pictures…

Bill – I really appreciated and enjoyed your comments. My existing elbows completely drain, but a potential failure point in them is too close to the turbo’s for my comfort.

What we are doing is taking the existing elbow geometry and constructing a dry section which is very similar. That is then extended another for inches for a shower head which is well below the turbo. The entire wet section is well below the turbo, so gravity is working for us rather than against. Beyond the waterlifts, the exhaust line goes all the way to the top of the engine room and works down to exhausts at the side of the boat. Extremely unlikely, perhaps even impossible for wave action or a following sea causing a back up into the engine. Given our port to port fair florida weather utilization, this seems to be a solid solution, one which I’m confident will protect my engines for many more years.

When we get the final product installed, I’ll work through the computer issues and upload some pictures.

Bill Desmarais
    Vessel Name: Extremist
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA 370

When I look at an exhaust on a Cummins engine I ask myself just one question.

When the engine is OFF…NOT running and the boat docked……Does ALL the raw water that has entered the “mixing elbow/ shower head/ call the piece what you want” DRAIN out ?

If the answer is NO, like shown in FireIsland’s 1st picture with the stock Cummins elbow, then the exhaust does not past muster and will be “junk” over time even with stainless steel risking the turbo failing and possibly a valve or cylinder. Might take a yr or two…might take 15 yrs.

A lousy design just causes more bull crap down the road for the owner or subsequent owner/s

Here’s a pic of the exhaust in my little lobster boat. Designed for a “lifetime” !

1 user thanked author for this post.

Bill Desmarais
    Vessel Name: Extremist
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA 370

When I look at an exhaust on a Cummins engine I ask myself just one question.

When the engine is OFF…NOT running and the boat docked……Does ALL the raw water that has entered the “mixing elbow/ shower head/ call the piece what you want” DRAIN out ?

If the answer is NO, like shown in FireIsland’s 1st picture with the stock Cummins elbow, then the exhaust does not past muster and will be “junk” over time even with stainless steel risking the turbo failing and possibly a valve or cylinder. Might take a yr or two…might take 15 yrs.

A lousy design just causes more bull crap down the road for the owner or subsequent owner/s

Here’s a pic of the exhaust in my little lobster boat. Designed for a “lifetime” !

james
    Participant

Our reconfiguration is going to look very similar to the one above. I’ll try and get some photo’s of the existing up, I’ve been having some computer frustrations.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

“”Do folks “see” egregious gaps in judgement on this installation approach?””

“See” requires pictures —- do upload all as Phil suggested.

Fireisland1
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Riverwind
    Engines: cummins QSB 380

Before and after

I donā€™t know if this helps. This is how I reconfigured mine.

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35ā€™ Cabo ā€˜FUGAā€™
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540ā€™s

How about some pictures of your current setup showing the entire exhaust system from all angles.

Also have you removed the below and looked at the turbo? Post some pictures of that as well…

Lots of good eyes that will help you

Phil

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.