• Creator
    Topic

Jen Wren
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Vaquera
    Engines: QSB 540's

I have a pair of QSB 380 motors with 11,000 hours on them. We service them EVERY 100 hrs. using Fleetguard fislters and Delo 400 15-40 oil. EVERY season the heat exchangers and after-coolers are removed and service on the bench per Tony’s protocol.

This winter I removed the Airsep air filters, plugged the lines and ran a hose from the vent on top of the valve cover to a vented gallon bottle. All was well and the motors seemed to run great with less soot on our transom. Now I have discovered that after 100 hrs the vented gallon discard bottle on the starboard motor is about half full of crankcase puke while the port motor only has about 2 inches.

My feeling was that these motors were mid life and would preform for another 6 to 10,000. Now I’m wondering if a half gallon of puke in 100 hrs is a sign that the end is near? These are the first electronic motors I have ever owned. They don’t act tired or smoke. How can I get an idea of how much life is left?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jen Wren
    Participant

Thanks again Tony. Operating in Mexico sometimes “home made” is by necessity not necessarily preference. You probably don’t remember but you designed my exhaust risers after we burned a valve and Cummins was no help. That was back in the boat deisel days. I’m on my own here and you have bailed me out several times and helped me keep my head above water.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Since you are a “Home-Made” type of guy, use/adapt as needed some 1.5″ PCV pipe and a 90 elbow pointed up at the valve cover. Go up 6-8 “, then a 180 back down to your hose. Fill the pipe going up with SS Woven kitchen pot scrubbers.. Not tight, just lightly full.. Your oil blow-by will go away if you have not overfilled you oil pan ( rod dipping/foaming) ..

Same idea as your exhaust risers–Use the height you have available.to your advantage..

Tony

Jen Wren
    Participant

Tony, Thanks for making me do the work and take the photos. Just had to read between the lines to figure it out. Now I don’t believe that motor is near the end. The problem is my vent design is flawed. A little rise in the vent hose where it comes out of the valve cover won’t allow the oil on the top end of the head to slosh out in rough seas or when the boat is at attitude before coming on plane.

Jen Wren
    Participant

There is about 10 1/2 inches from the top of the valve cover to underside of the engine box.

Yes, it is home made. I just completly dumped the airsep system. The set up is similar to my mechanical motors except they vent out of the side of the block.

Tony Athens

You need to stand back a few feet so I can see everything.. I don’t want close-ups.. Also, I do not see a Walker system.. It looks “home-made”.?

IMPORTANT: How much distance do you have on top the the aft valve cover ( where the PVC breather connection is) to the underside of the deck above?

Tony

Jen Wren
    Participant

Tony, here are some photos of what I have done.

Day before yesterday I discovered the turbo gasket to manifold on the port engine has a small leak and have put the boat on the hard to do the repair and clean the bottom. After pulling the boat I discovered exsivie conch growth that I’m certain is impacting performance. We must be experiencing some kind of bloom because I have lived here 28 years and have never seen anything like this. Also the bottom was painted just 2 months ago.

Anyhow, I will do my best to get the rest of the info you asked about when we get her back in the water.

Tony Athens

Let’s start will really good pics of the install showing all.. Concentrate on the breather system too..

You sound like you are doing all RIGHT, so answer below and maybe we can work together and make it “RIGHTER”

1) Sitting at the dock, engine off, how much oil is in the OIL PAN ( I want a number in in quarts)

2) Inline or V-drive?

3) Sitting at the dock– The engines valve cover angle in relation to Mother Earth? IN DEGREES ..

4) Running around going from Point A to Point B, what is your cruise RPM and GPH on each engine..

5) Bring up TOTAL FUEL BURNED sine DAY 1–Post the gallons the ECM says on each engine.

Start with this & I’ll see if I can come up with a reasonable answer..

Tony

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.