• Creator
    Topic

Mike Pettee
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Cop-Out
    Engines: Cummins 370s

Cummins 6BTA. 380ish hours

Running perfectly with no issues. Racor 1000s had some gunk in the bottom so I pull it apart, clean it, change filter and replace filter. Fill the racor, and go to prime and she doesn’t seem to prime. Fire her up and she doesn’t like it. Runs for a few then sputters out.

Only thing I touched was the filter. I took the below vlinked video cause it shows the sound I’m getting when I’m priming. Sounds like something somewhere may have air in it or is leaking. Not getting the squeak I’m used too.

Any ideas. May just need to bleed the fuel system after the racor cleaning.

Other motor no issues, isolated to this side. Priming and running creates a vacuum on the racor.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1mjDkema99pz3Vph8

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

cale domek
    Participant
    Vessel Name: MAGNUM
    Engines: CUMMINS 6BTA 5.9 300HP

I had a cracked 5 cent oring on the t handle that had me stumped for hours, she would prime and start but would sputter out after a while.

Mike Pettee
    Participant

Ok asked a few guys and seems the consensus is air in system due to my stupidity.

Process seems to be full filters. Break relief valve. Pump till jo air. Close. Break injectors. Pump till no air. Close.

That’s how I read it at least.

Mike Pettee
    Participant

Phillip.

Sorry left that out. Been a long boat day (see below).

I did install the ball wrong. I took it back apart and did it correctly and still have the same issue.

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35ā€™ Cabo ā€˜FUGAā€™
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540ā€™s

When you say you took racor apart and cleaned it, how far did you take it apart? Did you get down the the tiny steel ball? If so did you install the rubber gasket that the ball sits on upside down?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.