• Creator
    Topic

Frank Romero
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Good fishing 2
    Engines: Cummins QSB 5.9l

So I recently got a spot on a crab boat here off the southern Oregon coast and they found out I had experience (although limited) in diesel mechanics. Well, they made me the boat mechanic and I’ve never worked on or learned anything about marine diesel engines. Just noticed a few differences and specifics I have some questions about. The boat I’ll be on has a new Cummins QSB 5.9 355 hp engine so I would especially like to know it was installed right. I’ve attached pictures of the way the exhaust is set up because I noticed the injection point for water is on the same side of the riser as the turbo. To me it looks like water would drain right back unless there is some baffles or something in there. Also the fuel system has two large fuel filter/ water separators with a three way ball vale so you can isolate and service one. That’s the whole filter system though. Shouldn’t there be another spin on filter in line with a smaller micron rating? I also don’t see a hand pump to prime fuel. Like I said I don’t know much but if there are any other things I should look for or known common issues please share.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Fuel Filters and Priming

Yes implementing a squeeze bulb would be an excellent upgrade to get you back up and running as quick as possible. Otherwise it’s the IN and OUT screws and using the ignition… Here’s reading on the filtration including the common rail engines.

Marine Fuel Filtration ā€œThe Seaboard Wayā€

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

Getting to Know the QSB

This link will get your feet wet in understanding that engine. Be sure to click on the “Learning Your Engine” Tab

Cummins QSB 5.9 Specifications

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

Doomed to Fail Link

Here is plenty of reading on exactly what you are dealing with..

Marine Exhaust Risers that are Doomed to Fail

1 user thanked author for this post.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

Doomed to Fail Exhaust Setup

Your take that something is not right with the exhaust is correct. However, the water is not injected into the exhaust gas at the point where the raw water hose connects to the elbow. That elbow is what is known as a jacketed wet elbow. The water comes out the far end in a spray ring (aka showerhead) pattern. Attached is a very exciting video clip I made before scrapping that very same elbow. You can see the spray ring.

What is good about that exhaust you show is that there is some height in the system and what looks to be very good height in the engine room, not all of which is being used. What is not good is that the jacketed chamber of that elbow holds water when the engine is shutdown and sitting at the dock. Those elbows were designed to be installed pointing down so they drain on shutdown. But they are often used to make the poor man’s riser as in your case. It’s on borrowed time until it fails internally and floods the turbo, exhaust manifold, etc etc.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.