• Creator
    Topic

Trevor Parnell
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Discovery
    Engines: Cummins 6bta

I am trying to locate another ZF220a in 2 to 1 , found a few zf63a’s around but haven’t ever had too much to do with them. I know from the drawings that there is a difference in the angles of 2 degrees, and a few measurement differences, but will a 63a go where a 220a come out from??
    I know there will be mods to mounts and such which aren’t a problem , but the are they major or minor, and the bellhousing adapter is different, as is the coupling and oil lines,ect.
    They seem to be a more available gear locally, and I cant afford new (quoted a new 220a at $7500)

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Trevor Parnell
    Participant

I realise its a totally different gear, I was asking about the input spline as I have a new centa coupling to suit a 280, and was wondering if it will fit the 220.

As I also said, I’m thinking not but don’t have the 2 to compare.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

The ZF280A is a completely different design–EVERYTHING about it won’t fit or interchange–EVERYTHING!

Tony

Trevor Parnell
    Participant

Tony,

I wouldn’t normally but for the availability issues. The TD box gives me another chance to get a near bolt in box, and considering I mounted my rear mounts on the engine instead of the trans I wouldn’t have to modify much at all.

I hadn’t realised it has been out of production for that long either, I thought it was only about 10yrs.

I know there would be some zf220a’s Ā lying around somewhere but just trying to find them in Australia second hand is the main issue. I could order new but I honestly cant afford that anyway. The couple I have found, the owners are asking near new prices for anyway.Ā 

On another note, is the ZF280’s input spline larger than the 220’s?? I’m thinking yes, but don’t have the 2 to compare.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

The MG 502 and ZF220A are very close to a easy “Physical swap” as to all the base dimensions. Ā But why would you go with a gear that has been out of production for at least 15 years-20 yrs?Ā 

Tony

Trevor Parnell
    Participant

Thanks for the info, that’s the style of reference I’m after. The finer points of making them fit isn’t an issue, I am after a general idea from someone who may have been down this road before to work out (in turn) if its worth chasing something different
    Cheers, Trev

Woo
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Obsession
    Engines: 6BTA5.9M3 (370) x 2

As usual, Tony is the guru on this stuff, however, it is my understanding that a TD MG502 is a swap-in for a ZF220A.
    I had two of them in Brisbane in 2:1, but have since sold them. They are an old box now, but they’re sturdy. Maybe if Tony confirms my thoughts it would be worth your keeping an eye out for those too.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.