• Creator
    Topic

FERNANDO DACOSTA
    Participant
    Vessel Name: FELIZ DREAM
    Engines: Cummins 6cta 8.3 (46086149) & (46086200)

Dear Seaboard Marine
    I have a 2001 Cummins 6 cat 8.3
    I am just getting to learn Diesel engines, this is my first boat with diesel.
    I am reading in all your topics, you constantly talk about fuel burn, fuel consumption.
    My engines does not a have a fuel meter, does all the newer Cummins engines have fuel meter included in the instrument panel?
    How do you know how much an engine is consuming?
    It is possible to instal a fuel meter in my engines, if so which one you recomend and how to install it, I don’t see it in your products.
    Thank you in advance for any explanation.
    Fernando.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

FERNANDO DACOSTA
    Participant
    Vessel Name: FELIZ DREAM
    Engines: Cummins 6cta 8.3 (46086149) & (46086200)

Thank you, Tony and Rob, for the explanation.
    My engines have 1,250 hours.
    Last time I tested Wot I was making 2,650, my Diver just cleaning the bottom and the props this week,
    I will check again my WOT, if not I will re-prop to make 2,750 rpm as suggested.
    My engines are running great, like new, they start right away, no smoke.
    I just cleaned all the Seawater coolers side as per your recommendation using the Alco Metalube, that was a great product.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

The “other” C series that provides fuel burn data display is the 480CE and there is a lot on this forum about propping that engine which you’ve probably come across.

For you and your mechanical 450, just do as Tony’s 2nd paragraph states..

1 user thanked author for this post.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Fernando,

Yes, we do talk about fuel burn or GPH to determine how your engines are loaded.. But that ONLY applies to “Q” series electronic engine that have fuel consumption measuring electronic as part the the engine design.. I the case of a 100% mechanical engine like you have, then we just use an accurate tach as our fist line of sorting out how the engine is loaded……………….If you want more info, then you can add, a pyrometer, a boost gauge and even buy an after market fuel flow system like one made by Flow Scan ( google it) .. But IMO, I would only buy that IF YOU had fuel management problems and not for engine loading purposes..

As to right now, get your tach checked for accuracy.. You can do that at the dock using 2400-2500 RPM as the test point.. Then, find out what your WOT RPM is “loaded as you use the boat in it heaviest possible condition”.. If you DO NOT make and easy 2725~2750, then you need to re-prop accordingly.. NOT a dime less is the KEY!

Tony

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.