• Creator
    Topic

jfsimpson
    Participant

I’ve installed Faria Synchronizers (Catalog #34601, Factory #SY9671) on my Cummins 6BTA-3M powered boat. So far, the synchronizers aren’t working as the needle/indicator jumps and I’ve tried to adjust the synchronizers per the instructions, no help/progress. Are the engines equipped with a magnetic or alternator tach. signal source…?

Any idea’s..?

Thank you..

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Zeki Karadeniz
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Serra
    Engines: 6BTA 370

Thank you very much Tony. You are the Pope of Cummins. ???

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Mag Pickup adjustment-Installation

Just to eliminate one potential issue. Proper mag-pick-up installation

Remove the mag pickup.. Clean all, especially the magnet on the end and lube the threads with some grease. You might even spray some WD-40 on the internal 3/4″x 16 threads in the bell housing.. The idea here is to allow the mag pickup to screw easily ( fingers) into the housing so you cam “feel it”, BOTTOM on the flywheel tooth on the gear…………………….. Next, while the pick-up is out, LOOK down thru the hole so you can see the gear. What you want is to have a GEAR TOOTH in the middle of the hole.. If it is not there, grab a flat tip driver and put it in the hole, wedge it as needed to MOVE a tooth to the center–It’s super easy to do..

Now, when you easily screw in the mag pick-up , it needs to bottom on that gear tooth ( screw up the lock nut as needed), a and then, back rotate it 1/2 a turn , hold it and lock it in place..

Now, at least you know that is set up right..

If problems still exist, you either have wire connection issues or the mag pickup is done..

Tony

Zeki Karadeniz
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Serra
    Engines: 6BTA 370

Hi! I also have Mag pick up tachometer-synchronizer system. I have the same problem I think. Tachometer needle/indicator jumps continuously. Did u solve your problem? Would it help to remove and clean the device? If so, how will the system be adjusted?
    Thanks in advance.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Mag Pickup 6BTA M3

In this shot while I had my aftercooler off you can easily see the location of the mag pickup… As far as troubleshooting your install – did you contact Faria? Are they not able to support what they sell?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.