• Creator
    Topic

Cameron Mckergow
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Off the hook
    Engines: Kad43

Hi I have a 28 Foot trailered aluminium mono with a volvo 230Hp KAD43 and sterndrive. Motor is currently being rebuilt due to the common exhaust too low issue.

Because there is a flush deck cockpit I have some challenges in redesigning the exhaust. To make it even harder I have been trying to design it so the exhaust still exits out the outdrive (less fume and quiet)

My manual states the exhaust pressure spec as 10ā€“30 kPa (1.4-4.3 psi) (1000ā€“3000 mm (39-118″) wp) the top end of which seems very high.

I think the only way I can have the exhaust still go through the outdrive pipe is with a shower style exhaust like this picture I found on the net.

I have attached the elbow to the pipe to show where the engine turbo normally sits.

factory elbow mouted where it would mate to the engine

however due to the floor height I can only get the spill over point to approximately 8 inches above the loaded water line. The water does have to make it past the volvo exhaust flap and it has the added volume of the shower can to fill before it spills over. Is there any way I can make this work acceptably? I dont want to raise the floor.

If I need to abandon this idea option 2 is to exit through the stern via an aqua lift muffler I still have challenges getting enough spill over height and routing pipes.. I could route either the dry or wet exhaust up through an air intake box in the transom ala the pink pool noodle below or beside it as per the green pool noodle. Dry would require a flexible bellows and blanket 3 90’s and one 45. Wet side would still have to turn sharply to exit transom

Wet would surely be simpler after an aqua lift but I would need to exit the muffler from the floor of the boat and then loop the wet exhaust hose or have bends before it exits the transom. Because the bends are at the transom it would have to turn sharply to exit the stern.

If the aqua lift muffler is a low profile barrel style I would need to get from the turbo at the rear of the boat to the front of the muffler, exit the rear of the muffler and then loop up and around at the stern. the problem is that there is 8 inches of space at the wall of the transom here and he wet hose is likely to be 5 inch so the f final bend might be problematic also.

What should I do?!!

factory elbow mouted where it would mate to the engine

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Just ask yourself one question if you go with a shower design.. When one of internal welds or inner pipes rots thru ( it will as they all do), where will the saltwater end up….

The “orange run”, if done right, is the only real solution. Up and over the top , water injected on the downward run.

Tony

Cameron Mckergow
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Off the hook
    Engines: Kad43

some more photos

more photos

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.