• Creator
    Topic

gerard hryniuk
    Participant

Ive just removed my two QSB370s from a 2005 36 Australian manufactured blackwatch to basically clean and tidy up the engine bay.
    The engines have 2100Hrs and have been serviced regularly with heat exchangers removed every two years striped cleaned and resembled as per your protocol. Ive had the boat for ten years and it had 600Hrs When I originally got he boat the max revs were only 2850. Ive since had the props re pitched and now see 3100 fully loaded, we cruise at 2350-2400rpm. 65-70% load
    As I now have the opportunity to go thru the engines on the floor I would like to know if anything else should be checked.
    The list of works since removing the engines are
    heat exchangers stripped and cleaned and lubed, turbos removed and sent away for service, two new SMX water pumps fitted, New oil pan heaters fitted, New SMX double fuel filters installed with the racor’s removed. new oil change pumps being installed. All belts, hoses and hose clamps will be replaced. Fresh water flush going in, new engine mounts. new filtered air intakes in the engine room. Anything else to check

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Fireisland1
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Riverwind
    Engines: cummins QSB 380

Starter

I would replace the starter if it’s in your budget. It’s a pain to do in the boat. If not I would at least remove the bolts, clean and replace with moly or tefgel

Tony
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins 6CTA-8.3-M2 420hp

Hi

Can someone please explain to me what the ‘mag switches’ do? I believe mine have quite rusty connections… if they are what I think they are! ??

Thanks in advance

Tony

Sounds like you’ve got a pretty good handle on it…

You’ve probably thought of this stuff too…

Do you have fuel coolers? Might want to inspect those, or maybe remove them.

Are the isolators still solid? Now would be a good time to replace any that look/feel suspect.

How do the electrical connections/components look… Mag switch and starter. Clean them up the posts and remake the connections with fresh grease.

Sounds like you take great care of that vessel!

gerard hryniuk
    Participant

Sorry yes I meant 2450.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Thinking you meant 42 L/hr @ 2,450 RPM ?
    This is the QSB 380, right ?

gerard hryniuk
    Participant

Thanks guys 42 l/ per hr @3450 rpm haven’t checked wot fuel burn yet

email

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Two things that always come to mind when engines are out are pan heaters (which you covered) and mounts (which Justin covered).

Sounds like you have your bases well covered.

You are using the term “heat exchangers” in general which covers the aftercoolers & gears coolers, right?

As to your propping, are you seeing 95% load at WOT with boat dirty and FULLY loaded?

Have you prepared a chart of RPM vs fuel burn from hull speed RPM all the way to WOT at something like 200 rpm increments?

Justin Riege

Sounds like you’ve got a pretty good handle on it…

You’ve probably thought of this stuff too…

Do you have fuel coolers? Might want to inspect those, or maybe remove them.
    Are the isolators still solid? Now would be a good time to replace any that look/feel suspect.
    How do the electrical connections/components look… Mag switch and starter. Clean them up the posts and remake the connections with fresh grease.

Sounds like you take great care of that vessel!

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.