• Creator
    Topic

james
    Participant

I am about to change the oil on my 6cta engines. Typically I’ve had all the parts and oil on hand and have a mechanic I trust do the labor. A big yard bill for new bottom paint, cutlass bearings, engine alignment and prop tuning has really eaten up the budget, board of directors (my wife) is concerned. So, I’m going to change the fluids myself. Here comes the easy question.

Should I pre-fill the filters with oil prior to start up?

I’m using cummins recommended Valvoline.

Thanks

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

james
    Participant

I did prefil the filters and was surprised by how much oil they held, close to 4 quarts, and how long it took to get fully saturated. Thanks for the tips!

Bill Desmarais
    Vessel Name: Extremist
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA 370

As Rob said….ALWAYS fill the oil filter and oil the gasket…….and…..take your time filling the filters.
    Fill…let oil settle in the cartridge filtering matter………repeat….repeat….until you have a fully saturated and filled oil filter.

The 6CTAs will like you for it.

Keep us posted, Bill D

james
    Participant

Board of directors

1 wife with multiple personalities:-)

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Oil Filter Change – PreFill

Well you certainly need to keep the board of directors happy (BTW director”s”… how many wives do you have!)
    Yes prefill the filters. In operation, the unfiltered oil gets fed through the smaller holes around the perimeter and then the filtered oil flows up and out the center. I too use the Valvoline, Premium Blue 15W-40. Remember to be sure the rubber gasket from the old filter comes off with the old filter – this is one time 2 is NOT better than 1. Have fun.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.