• Creator
    Topic

William Walter
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Positive rate
    Engines: Cummings 480ce

I know it’s not the usual kind of question for this web site but I do appreciate the wealth of knowledge in all areas on this site.I just received my documentation application for next year.ln years past it was always free but now the fee is 26 dollars.my boat is registered in New York with all the taxes paid and I believe that’s all most law enforcement requires. I believe if the boat is documented you don’t have to put registration numbers on but that’s about the only advantage I see. I’ve heard it’s an advantage in places like Florida because it then becomes a federal crime if the boat is stolen..Not that 26 bucks is an issue but I’m wondering if it’s a waste of time to send it in every year.Maybe there are some big pluses to keep it registered so that’s why I was asking.Bill

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

William Walter
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Positive rate
    Engines: Cummings 480ce

WW 2

Heard Hemingway did that in WW 2. Took pillar out hunting for subs.Do not know if he got the call or was just into it. Maybe was just something to justify fishing during the war. Thanks for the info..Bill

Fireisland1
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Riverwind
    Engines: cummins QSB 380

In times of war, you could get a phone call for documented boats to answer the call. Last time that happened was WWII

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Bill, other than not having to stick numbers and letters to the boat, it is tough to make an argument as to the need for documenting. No doubt, NYS still takes the full registration $$ and now this is just an added fee. The documentation can make a future sale a little cleaner, especially if it is an out of state deal.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.