• Creator
    Topic

John Simister
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Eclipse
    Engines: QSC 8.3 540HP

I have twin Cummins QSC 8.3 engines. The Smart Craft (dieselView) has come up with an error that says I need to
    reconfigure the system. I have gone through the setup and, half way through this process, I get the following message:

“The adaption process has failed. You are required to shut the system down and correct the problem. Check that the
    proper connectors are plugged into the proper levers. Check the proper ERC type.”

I have checked all the connectors and they are all secure.

The data is displayed within the tacho windows correctly and all the information, including fuel flows etc, is there.

The engines are running well with no abnormal readings on the analogue gauges.

I have been told that I may need a new SmartCraft unit. The information coming from the sender unit at the engines
    is being displayed correctly on the tachos.
    The SmartCraft Diesel view is about 10 years old (Part Number 4932604), which I believe is difficult to obtain.

Regards, John

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

John Simister
    Participant

Update

Update from last post.

I removed the SIM modules from each engine and left them off for about 30 minutes, just to make sure that the capacitors had discharged. When I re installed the SIMs, the DieselView was up and running, only requiring configuration. The DieselView is now running as it should.

The only issue that I now have is a message on the Starboard Tacho “Lost Engine Comms”. However, this problem has been intermittent since I purchased the boat about 9 months ago. After a few minutes it regains communications and will not fault again until the next switching on of the ignition. Also, it does not happen on every occasion.

I swapped the cable to the left tacho and it then gave the error message “Lost Engine Comms” on that tacho. Therefore it is not related to a faulty tacho. Can anyone advise where I can check the connections for the tacho at the engine to make sure that all connectors are secure.

Also, when the tacho loses communication – the DieselView still displays all the information correctly.

Regards, John

John Simister
    Participant

I have just cleaned all the contacts at the Sim module and at the Diesel View. The Diesel View has the same problem, however, I seem to have eliminated the error message on the tacho since the cleaning of the corrosion.

I was having a look at the Seaview unit on your website.This unit looks ideal as a replacement.

Does this unit plug into the existing Sim units on the engines? The plug sizes appear different or is there a harness to make the connection?

John

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

Well I have never heard of a device not being able to be re-configured but you are correct in that the display is only a “monitor” and the engine will run without it… bad thing is running in the blind you will not have any alarm indication.

Read through the following page to better understand your options for upgrading and let me know if you have any questions:

http://www.sbmar.com/cummins-dieselview-display-upgrades/

John Simister
    Participant

Corey,

Thanks for your advice. If I do a factory reset and cannot reconfigure it, will this have any consequences on running the engines or is just a display of data?

What is the best alternative if the Diesel View is faulty and a replacement cannot be sourced?

John

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

John, I am not familiar with that error response and have never seen it before. If all of the engine and peripheral data is coming in as expected then it could be a device malfunction… and you’re correct in that you probably will not be able to source another DieselView display as they have been obsolete for a long time.

Have you tried a factory reset on the DieselView?

SmartCraft DieselView Full Master Reset Instructions

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.