• Creator
    Topic

Kraig Kilger
    Participant

Any comments regarding this newer Delo formulation that appears to be intended to replace Delo 400 LE. Is this an acceptable, or perhaps preferred, choice for my QSC’s? I have been using Delo LE.

Thank you.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Upgrading to new a new engine oil spec

Worry about everything that really matters on these type of engines—- 60++ HP per liter diesels with salt water cooled mixed metal aftercoolers, all of the cooling “hang-ons” made with light weight metal thin wall alloys, are so easy to overload above the recommended prop curves in the “cruise HP RPM” range and exhaust system designs that still play a major cause in early engine failures…………. .

Older OIL spec vs Newer Oil specs will never come into play regarding how long these engines last.. In the 30++ years i have been dealing with this diesel engines, I have yet to see one fail early-on because of the wrong or an older oil spec being used……………Also remember, your engine design was built around oil specs developed from the early 2000’s…………………………………………………………..And last–I would take a qualified guess that new oil specs are designed / manufactured around meeting “emission specs” more than trying to reduce “wear & tear”………………………………….Normal oil consumption ( maybe .1% of fuel consumption) on a perfectly running engine plays a major role in meeting current emission specs.. Calif is a big part of all of this ever changing stuff.

Tony

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.