• Creator
    Topic

jeff vargas
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Blacksheep
    Engines: QSC 8.3

Hello everyone, this is my first time as I’m in the process of buying a new (to me) boat. I have some concerns and they may be unwarranted but I’m seeking advice and information. The boat is a 2008 and has the Cummins QSC 8.3 engines with approx 450 hours on them. I don’t know much about diesel engines but have quickly learned a lot because of this awesome site. I have an offer on the boat that is contingent on everything getting checked out. I plan to hire a Cummins mechanic to check out the engines. I’m looking for a referral for a qualified, trustworthy mechanic that knows these engines in the San Francisco bay area. Does anyone here know of someone? Secondly, can anyone advise me on the things I should be looking for or concerned about? The broker says the owner has no maintenance records but he’s trying to track as much info down as possible. This has me concerned. I’m aware of the aftercooler maintenance thing because this site is awesome! Obviously oil and fluids will need to be changed so I can get a baseline…..If this thing ends up checking out! Any help or assistance is beyond appreciated. This boat is a lot of money (to me) and I don’t want to buy someone else’s problems. Thanks in advance! Ohh, and the boat is a 2008 Searay Sundancer 48. Any known issues with this make/model?

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Mike Mason
    Participant
    Engines: Qsb 5.9 380

that is somewhat normal on the qsc.Ā  I have them as well.Ā  just need to make sure you are properly loaded and within the fuel curve.Ā  read up about it on this site. they are great engines and super easy to self maintain.

Danilo Fonseca
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Hull pass
    Engines: Qsc 8.3 500

QSC 8.3

Hello Philip, thank you for your super helpful input on the maintenance for these engines. I am currently looking at a 07 sundancer 44ā€™ in Rhode Island. The engines look immaculate almost, no signs of rust anywhere. I am just concerned about a small section that looks a little discolored compared to the rest of the engines. I am planning a survey and sea trial sometime next week but I would appreciate your expertise, as it is close to the turbo. I can send videos as well.Ā 

Manny Parodi
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Babalu
    Engines: Cummins 8.3

I believe I bought the boat in this thread

Hi Jeff, I believe I bought the boat in question. 2008 Sea Ray 480 Sundancer from Jack London Square in Oakland, purchased this last October 2019. The story on this boat was it was in a lake in Texas from 08 to early 2017. Last owner bought it and sent to Oakland where it sat and was barely used. It now has 465 hrs. We had it surveyed extensively by top hull and factory Sea Ray mechanics. Besides vacu flush lines that were cracked from non use, bad rudder seals and some minor fixes, the boat checked out in tip top shape. Like you said, the seller was difficult and being a novice boater and 2nd owner, he never asked for maintenance papers from the prior owner. We were able to trace the original owner and luckily he had the maintenance records. All checked out great. Boat is now in Marina del REY.

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35ā€™ Cabo ā€˜FUGAā€™
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540ā€™s

10 micron boat filter and the Fleetguard FF5488 on engine filter.

The Racor can be messy, if your looking to upgrade you filter quality and capacity check out these…far superior and much easier to maintain.

https://www.sbmar.com/product-category/fuel-systems/fuel-filtration-kits/

Phil

2 users thanked author for this post.

JW
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 1986 Post 43
    Engines: 2007 Cummins QSC 8.3

Which is the appropriate fuel filter for 2007 QSC 8.3s? When I purchased the boat the owner left a bunch of 10micron Rarcors, but when I changed the filters they were 30microns. Thanks, Jim

Philip
    Participant

Bummer… keep us updated as this moves forward and call me anytime. I sent you my info via private message.

I can tell you from looking at the one engine room picture that the exhaust will have issues in the future… read up on exhaust design and doomed to fail exhaust..

Phil

jeff vargas
    Participant

Follow up

The owner has failed to supply a single maintenance record or any background on the boat. He’s also incredibly difficult to deal with (according to the broker). I’ve given him a fair offer at $408K and he’s asking $429 but has absolutely nothing to reassure me the boats been maintained. I know it needs bottom paint and Zincs and all fluids changed as well as there’s a problem with the vaculfush. I can almost guarantee it needs impellers all the way around and all the other maintenance items you mentioned. So based on that I’m probably walking away from this thing. BTW, the boat has been on the market for over a year. I told the broker I’m willing to pay more if they came up with maintenance records but they have yet to produce anything. Here’s the boat in case you’re wondering and since you’re in SF, this thing is sitting at Jack London Square.

https://goo.gl/RyyN2a

Philip
    Participant

Jeff,

Have you received any maintenance records and history? Also post as many pictures as possible of the vessel and the engine room from all angles so all the eyes can have a look and offer advice.

I live in SF so no need to fly anyone. Iā€™ll send you my phone number….

Phil

jeff vargas
    Participant

Phil and Tony, thank you very much for taking the time to address my concerns and Phil, great response with the checklist. I can’t thank you enough. This site has been awesome and I’ve learned more about marine diesel engines in 2 weeks from this site than any other I looked into. As of Friday afternoon I have an offer in on the boat that has yet to be accepted or countered. If we work it out, I’ll be checking out the boat again this Friday in Oakland. I don’t suppose I could fly either of you in and pay you to check it out??? I know that’s a big request so no expectation here. Tony, If I get to an accepted offer this week, I’ll check it out and get all the pictures I can and send them to you. And yeah, a certified Cummins mechanic???? WTH does that mean? lol. Thanks again guys!

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Jeff,

At this point, if you follow Phil’s lead 100% , you’l be in good shape.. The QSC is rock solid if it set up right and properly maintained. I watch over plenty of them with 50,000 -75000 ++ gallons of fuel that has gone thru them..

Not sure what hiring a “Cummins Mechanic” will do as to improving what Phil has put forth, but do post what all he says.. But if you are not hands-on, then you will need a good mechanic to follow Phil’s recommendations as to “HOW”…

Send me 20-30 really good pics of your engine installed in the boat, all clear & in-focus, all angles & perspectives, and between my eyes, Phils and Robs, we’ll see way more than an guy you hire…. And that is FREE..

Tony

Philip
    Participant

Hi Jeff

I own and operate a pair of QSC8.3ā€™s down in Long Beach but live in SF. Unfortunately I donā€™t know of any good mechanics in SF as I do my own maintenance. I am willing to help you any way I can.

As a guide here is a brief list of items to get yourself to a baseline:

1. Engine oil and filter (Fleetguard)

2. Transmission oil and filter

3. Boat fuel filter, usually racor 10 micron

4. Engine fuel filter Fleetguard FF5488

5. Raw water pump impeller – watch for any signs of leakage from the weep holes.

6. The fuel/gear oil cooler, aftercooler, and heat exchanger need to be removed from the engine, disassembled, and serviced per protocol on this site. After that aftercooler service every two years (3-4 if fresh water flushed every time). Heat exchanger only needs service and coolant changes every 6-8 years…or more.

7. Zincs – you will have to pull them every month or two until you know how your boat uses them to establish an interval. There are 6 zincs on each engine.

8. Get the fan shroud and belt off the front of the engine, spin everything (idler pulleys, fresh water pump, alternator) and ensure all is smooth with no grinding or bearing play. Good fan belt as well.

9. Ensure you can achieve max rpm and are under the rated fuel burn curve at the heaviest weight your boat will ever be (fuel, water, spares, ice, food, beer, tools, stuff, etc – it all adds up and matters). Your engine is electronic so your tachs are accurate. Get us a CPL and we can get you the fuel burn vs rpm chart.

Thatā€™s a good start for you….

Phil

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.