• Creator
    Topic

james
    Participant

I was in my engine room and doing some cleaning and painting, general checking for leaks. Recently we had to take the starboard Turbo off for replacement of exhaust elbow, that described in a different thread.

While looking around, I noticed that the valves which controlled coolant flow to my coolant filter were closed. That had been done I expect to lower the coolant (Not done by me, done by my mechanic).

My question is; if I’d run the engines heavily loaded with those valves shut, would I have created spot heating issues or overheat problems????

Thanks for any responses!

And, Check all work done by others. I trust this guy a lot, and he’s found and fixed a lot of stuff over the years, but everyone makes a mistake over time. Checklists are the way to go. Make a plan, work your plan, check your plan.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

The two small coolant valves only allow a slow flow thru the Coolant filter.. Closed or open, will not affect anything to do with engine temps.. If it makes you feel better, they eliminated the filter all together on the QSC..

Personally, and from 25+ years of dealing the the 6CTA, I’d have no issue eliminating it as long as you check coolant makeup every few years/ 2000 hours ( which you should do anyway) .. With the mid-stop liners in your engine, IMO, you “DO NOT” need the filter for recreational service.. Cummins know that now, buy they are “locked in” and can’t change..

Tony

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.