• Creator
    Topic

Luke Nelson
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Southern Image
    Engines: QSC 8.3 540hp

Hi All,
    What are the side affects of using / storing a boat on the 75 degree contour? It would get used in the warmer months( when its not frozen) and then have all the fluids drained ect prior to winter storage. Is there any side affects from storing a boat in well below freezing for 8 months a year? More engine wise, or would a couple of winters take the life of a engine?

Thanks Luke

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Scotth
    Participant

That was about the only place I figured it would be below freezing for so long!

Luke Nelson
    Participant

It was a very grey inquiry, but Antartica..I have no idea if it would be stored outside or inside or how they would get a 45,000 lb boat out of the water. I assume they know how to do it but I was curious if even done right there was any side affects.

Scotth
    Participant

Dare I ask where this boat is being stored?

We lay up ~10 months a year in AK with similar regimen to Rob, but is only below freezing <6 months a year. Our biggest problem is blowing sand in 100 mph wind off the tundra in winter. The sand gets in any nook and cranny. We also wrap our windows and any exposed rubber or plastics. Foam is used to block some vents to allow some air circulation.

Put the batteries away charged and charge them fully before using them.

How about exhaust and intake? We seal the dry exhaust, don’t know about the air filter.

Luke Nelson
    Participant

Thanks Rob,
    That is better than I thought. I will see if the job comes off.

regards Luke

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Would this be outdoor or indoor storage? Either way, no issues at all if done right. What you are talking about is not too far off from how a lot of boats are used here in the U.S. upper north east states. And when guys go boat shopping it’s the boats up here in these states that draw the most interest (second to fresh water boats).

Do NOT drain all fluids. Put her away with clean oils and proper coolant that is rated for the climate to be expected as to freeze protection and it has been replaced within recommended intervals. The coolant is mandatory to preventing internal corrosion. The raw water side would get a good fresh water flush and then filled with the prop “engine rated” non-tox antifreeze which will provide freeze protection and corrosion protection to the raw water components (coolers). Exterior corrosion can be combated with a good anti-corrosion spray (such as Corrosion-X, there are many brands/types, do your own research). And ambient conditions should be kept as dry as possible. The Wolverine pan heaters work great for this if 24/7 electric is available. If not, I have heard of wrapping the engine(s) in blankets to control condensation.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.