• Creator
    Topic

Kyle G
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Instigator
    Engines: QSC 8.3

Did some searching on here and only found 1 thread that had limited info. I have a QSC 8.3 500hp. I took out the Coalescing filter for the first time. It has about 1100hrs on it. Are they serviceable? They are pretty expensive to replace. There is no indication on the gauge that it is pulling a vacuum. Should I wait until I notice that a vacuum is being drawn to replace? I have been cleaning the main filter once a year with the K&N filter cleaning and oil kit. Should I be doing something different?

Thanks

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Kyle G
    Participant

We do make a kit for that engine… send a direct note to Tony and the parts crew and they’ll sort you out.

https://www.sbmar.com/product-category/engine-upgrades/envirovent-crankcase-ventilation-ccv-kits/

Thanks, This will probably be a next winter project. Or the next time I see a website sale……..

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

We do make a kit for that engine… send a direct note to Tony and the parts crew and they’ll sort you out.

https://www.sbmar.com/product-category/engine-upgrades/envirovent-crankcase-ventilation-ccv-kits/

Kyle G
    Participant

^^^^
    Tony,
    Does SBMAR sell a replacement set up for this air filter system?

Kyle G
    Participant

I finally got around to putting it back together. I am not sure why it rotated all my pics.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

QSC Air Cleaner options

Put it all back together and let me see it as installed on the engine–I need over-view pics so I can see it all.. I have seen more than more than one systems

Kyle G
    Participant

Do you / SBMAR offer any options to this setup? I don’t believe I saw any on the site but I could have missed it.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Walker’s marketing strategy is very obvious and has improved much over the years————Extremely expensive & difficult air filter system to maintain or service. The OEM’s love them as they make the new engines “look cool”, and work well for the initial warranty period with zero thought given as to what it takes “cost wise” to maintain them over the lifetime of the engine–also known as the cost of ownership…

As to you trying to clean them, service them , etc etc–If you come up with something, share it for all the others owner out there that have the same issue.

Imagine a commercial operation that runs 2000++ hrs a year ( a very big part of our business) , the operator works hard ( 200+ days on the ocean a year) and just squeaks a decent living.. Now he has to spend $300-400 ( per engine) to service his air cleaners 2 x a year, . My ears would have been burnt off to stubs years ago if I sold them a system like that…

I was inspecting a new CAT 7.1 this past week with a Walker unit made for CAT to fit this engine.. It’s got to be a $400 “service” thing as all the “wear” parts are like total “throw away”.. I was shaking my head in disbelief. But, it sure looked cool..

BTW, the marinization looks “CAT Typical” (very nicely done), and the attention to detail in the finish & assembly was a cut above as to what Cummins does. BUT, an extremely “busy” and complex engine by comparison….. IMO, way too many complex looking “hang-ons” & plumbing systems.

Tony

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.