• Creator
    Topic

Joseph McGettigan
    Participant
    Engines: QSM11

Im in the process of purchasing a Classic Chesapeake Deadrise (Mabry 40). It has a Cummins QSM11 that was installed when it was built. Around 2500 hours is what I’m being told. The owner says its been well maintained and serviced. The boat is very clean almost looks almost new and when I saw it the meeting was not scheduled, I showed up out of the blue. Im scheduling a full survey now that I have it under contract. But I do have some concerns about the dry turbo diesel after reading about manifold issues from exhaust temps. Any pointers or things to look for when Im going through the survey process before final purchase? thanks

https://compositeyacht.biz/listings/2004-mabry-custom-chesapeake-deadrise/

JJ McGettigan

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Joseph McGettigan
    Participant

Its a beautiful example of a custom Chesapeake deadrise! I spoke with the broker about my concerns (they have done a lot of the maintenance) and he explained that the current owner had the same concerns when he purchased the vessel. He explained that my issued voiced is a “known Issue” with this model engine. The boat is propped correctly from the start, makes her cruise (21 knots) well and has not been abused. the current owner is alway ahead of maintenance and is always watching for an issue like this. The only issue it had was last year another mechanic did some work when they had a issue with the turbo. the mechanic jumped the gun diagnosed it with a bad turbo and replaced it only to find out it was just a $125 turbo sensor. instead of removing the new turbo they split the difference left the new installed turbo in and he has the old turbo as a spare.

We have a full survey of the vessel next Wednesday. Everything goes well we are moving forward with the purchase.

donald roth
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Paumalu
    Engines: Cummins 6BT 180 hp

The fact that it has survived 10 years and 2500 hours tells me that it’s not especially problematic in its current state, and is set up right.
    If It still looks good, runs good, and you have maintenance records to see, I’d seriously consider this vessel, It’s a sweet looking ride.

Joseph McGettigan
    Participant

Its funny you asked about the display. I have been watching this boat for many years it has sold twice. I have pictures from 10 plus years ago when it sold the first time. I noticed the display in the old pictures is different the display in the new picture see attached pics

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Wow looks like a very problematic design unless its dialed in just right. Thank you for the information. Im guessing you would say no go with this cummings set up in this boat?

No, I would not say “no-go” …. Like every other engine, it has it’s known issue. Even my super simple 6BTA’s probably have 10+ “non-Cummins” things to make them better than the day they left the factory. Understand and overcome is the motto. Follow the prop loading explained in the article. That is the weak link that needs to be addressed.

Did you happen to notice the SMX digital display. That is a very good sign that this owner is already “in the know” !

Joseph McGettigan
    Participant

Wow looks like a very problematic design unless its dialed in just right. Thank you for the information. Im guessing you would say no go with this cummings set up in this boat?

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.