• Creator
    Topic

Mike Schmidt
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins 6bta 330hp

Well, I finally managed to change my 3″ dia exhaust outlet hose, but damn that was NOT easy!! It was like they were glued on to the muffler outlet… there was a point where I thought it’d be impossible to get off. After twisting and pulling centimeter by centimeter the finally did come off. My next project was going to be replacing the big 10″ hoses, but now I’m seriously spooked. Any tips or words of encouragement that this is doable? The hoses are 14 years old, and while they look good on the outside, I realize that hoses do wear out with age and defects can be hard or impossible to detect…

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

glenn111
    Participant

Yes, Must be very careful as you get closer to pipe. But this is true if you use a knife or hack-saw. Also, once you cut through the wire reinforcement, the hose tends to “pop apart” and separate from the pipe. It makes it much easier to remove when it does that. Or as you get close to a complete cut-through, use a screw- driver blade to do the final separation. But must be really careful when Dremel, but a must for me when the screw driver under the hose doesn’t seem to work or you really have tight access. Much easier to gain access with Dremel in most cases. Good luck, and suggest to use the Rector Seal when replacing the hose, as recommended all the time on this site.

Mike Schmidt
    Participant

I use Dremel with cutting accessory. Precise and cuts through the wire also.

Aren’t you worried about cutting into the pipe? Even a shallow cut could compromise the seal on the new hose…

glenn111
    Participant

I use Dremel with cutting accessory. Precise and cuts through the wire also.

Scott Lambert
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Old Man River
    Engines: Cummins QSB 5.9

My 6 inch wired exhaust hose had been sikaflexed in place. I used a sharp knife to cut, following the spiral winding of the wire. Peels off like an orange.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Our trick goes like this.

1) Obviously, hose clamps off

2) You need a long thin screwdriver and a can of WD-40

3) Start working the screw driver in-between the hose and the pipe——-WD-40 (lots) and keep working deeper & deeper & spraying–The WD will break the bond.

Use gravity to your advantage.

Tony

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

10ā€ should not be wired, I donā€™t even think it comes as wired option after 8ā€. Slice it and peel it…

Mike Schmidt
    Participant

Razorknifeā€¦..

Yep, I used that but it doesn’t get past the wire reinforcement. It helped a little to loosen things up a bit, but still was practically impossible.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Razorknife…..

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.