• Creator
    Topic

David Wesner
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Monarch
    Engines: 6BTA

Need some help in determining if my CAV injection pump is set correctly. It does not match the descriptions in the manuals available on the Quickserve site.

Engine symptoms are black smoke, light at idle to heavy after or near hull speed at 1300-1400 RPM. CPL 953

Inspection window on the pump shows the scribe H at the circ clip at TDC.

Am I interpreting this correctly and what needs to be done to correct the issue.

Thanks

D

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

David Wesner
    Participant

Fixed

Turned out being an injector that wasn’t seated correctly. Number 5 injector was not sitting all the way into the injector seat.

Engine runs smooth with zero smoke now.

Clark Leighs
    Participant

If you answer Tony’s questions straight up you will get help. Referring to a previous post without at least finding and highlighting it will not get his attention.
    Answer his questions. He is the most knowledgeable, about these engines, person you will run across.

David Wesner
    Participant

Well, timing pin is sheared. It is not in the cam gear and I cannot find it in the front case. I don´t believe it was done on my watch, but not 100%.

The engine was not at TDC when I took the front gear case off. So, I don´t know what I felt when I thought the pin dropped in.

Also, CAV pump reading a “C” on the rotor, expected a “G”. I don´t understand this. I also couldn´t find any info on rotor markings for the CAV DPA pump. I´ll have to continue searching for this.

Going to get new timing pin. I don´t think it is worth worrying about the old one messing up the front end as it could have been some time ago. Which is most likely.

Any advice is welcomed. I am going to get this back together and chase up the injectors next. Part of me wants to pull the injection pump to have it looked at by a shop. But, really don´t want to spend the money on a gut feeling. I can always return to it if the injectors don´t show any issues.

D

David Wesner
    Participant

Well, another dead end. Pump timed to D on the gear. Still have to look inside pump to view rotor again to verify but from my understanding it can´t be wrong.

Something funky with the timing pin going on. I couldn´t get it to engage. Suspect it is broken or left in and sheared. It seemed to be working good before, IDK.

David Wesner
    Participant

All this has been discussed on another post regarding a black smoke issue that wasn’t getting any activity. I would refer to the post but IDK how to link it or identity it. It is recent. Boat makes WOT RPM easy, High Idle is also good, prop calc confirms results, Boost is within spec at 22+psi, tachometer is reading high used phototach. History is lacking.

I would appreciate any information on the timing mark on the CAV pump that may help me save some work in pulling the gear case cover to look at the gear markings.

Serial number is: 44239031
    The pump has been removed from the engine. There are scribe marks on the housing and gear case that line up. unknown history on injectors. This is the next item to verify after the injection pump timing is confirmed.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Questions first:

1) History of the pump & engine as best you know, including your history with it

2) Has the pump ever been removed from the engine?

3) Do you have an engine serial number?

4) History of the injectors?

5) What WOT RPM will the engine reach loaded as you use the vessel

6) What no load RPM will the engine reach?

Tony

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.