• Creator
    Topic

Brad Fausett
    Participant
    Engines: 6bta 5.9 370hp

I bought a 2004 Meridian 411 with Cummins 370 6bta motors that are now showing around 1300 hours in the summer of 2018. The boat seems to run good however i have begun cleaning it up and making it mine by doing following suggestions and upgrading/fixing apparent problems.

Now bare with me, this is my first diesel and I am learning as much as i can while often asking silly questions.

I started doing some maintenance work yesterday and during this time i pulled the air filters off the air sep intake tube. I was surprised to see that the black tube was covered in an 1/8th ” of this disentegrated looking foam. If i wiped my finger on it, it will come out or off. Is this normal? Should this all be wiped out?

The next question is the OIL. Why is the intake covered in oil? It appears to be soaked! I also found that the air filter itself is soaked in oil.

Lastly, I was investigating an oil leak, it appears to be from the turbo itself. I assume the seals in this are bad, but the turbo is still good? I just need to have them rebuilt? Does seaboard offer this or should i have it done locally?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Mike Pettee
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Cop-Out
    Engines: Cummins 370s

My turbos on my 370s look about the same. I have no external leaks though. After reading on here my next upgrade is the CCV systems (and 160 thermostats).

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Very Ugly Turbo Issues

You need to do some serious reading on CCV systems–HERE on this site, and I am sure on other web sites too…………..Your Walker Airseps are literally “drowning” your engines with normal blow-by do to their very poor design on this engine…Actually, IMO, they are kind of a joke as to how they work, or supposed to work.. ……………

Also, if you want to us to really help, re-post your pics and send direct in much a HIGHER RESOLUTION.. They are “thumb-nail size”

And even more long term important————What do you know about the term “Marine Age” and as it relates to the seawater components on your engine, especially the aftercooler?.. Maybe a lot more reading? . The search engine on this site is very good ( “Tony’s Tips” ) –Just a keyword or two..

Tony

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.