• Creator
    Topic

Rob Padula
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Thirsty Hooker
    Engines: 450 6CTA

I had spoken to Tony a few times in the past and he recommended servicing the after coolers. I have one reman engine 1 1/2 years old and an original 2001 Cummins 450 6CTA with 1200hrs. The new After cooler he recommended me to disassemble and lube it. The one from 2001 that I had no service records of was recommended to replace the core due to the age. The new one came apart and went back together NO problem. The old one took a little extra but I was able to get the core out. The housing has some pitting on the inside. I don’t want any problems in the future as I just lost one engine the year before last due to an catastrophic overheat. Is the pitting a problem? Can I SAFTELY replace just the core or do i need to get a whole new after cooler? I have included some pics of the new one to check to see if the orientation of the core is correct. Also the old housing with the pits both after I pulled the core and after I cleaned it up with some sand paper.

I also am going to replace the heat exchanger on the old engine and would like to put in some back up alarms. I don’t want to miss another season due to engine troubles. Can you recommended a good back up alarm system.

Thanks
    Rob

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

firehoser75
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA M3-330 HP

Freshwater Flush

Raymond,
    I have “garden hose” attachments (with built in shut offs) on the caps of my Groco sea strainers. To fresh water flush, just attach a dock hose to the strainer, open the sea cock, turn on the dock water and start the engine. Once the engine is started, close the sea cock. Let it run a while at idle speed. According to Tony, the dock hose should provide enough water to lubricate the impeller and keep the engine cool enough. When you have flushed long enough (a few minutes should do), Shut down the engine and the freshwater at the same time or the water slightly ahead of the engine, then disconnect. Done.
    Tom

raymond gonzalez
    Participant
    Vessel Name: "The Office"
    Engines: cummins qsb 5.9 425 2007 8732

tony .. are you saying if you freshwater flush after each use of the engine in saltwater you can extend to double the time for each bench cleaning ? if no each use what is min and max interval for freshwater flush ?

I would love to extend the time between each full cleaning … and the cost is quite high to do it also ..

next questions is …. is there an easy way to freshwater flush .. my first thought is to get an adapted cap on the sea strainers to fit a hose right on top but still then have to close the seawater seacocks ..

thoughts ?

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Rob,

Aftercooler service–It was good that you took it on.. If you do not fresh water flush, then do it every 2 yrs.. If you fresh water flush, you can double+ that time interval.

Alarms— Lots of choices on this page:

Basic Diagram https://www.sbmar.com/articles/basic-engine-alarm-wiring-example/

https://www.sbmar.com/product-category/instrumentation/alarm-switches/

Tony

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.