• Creator
    Topic

donald roth
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Paumalu
    Engines: Cummins 6BT 180 hp

My boat has an old Hynautic steering system, from which the pressure can and relief valves have been removed with positive results—smoother operation with less effort to turn the wheel.
    I’m now installing a second helm station at the transom, and wondering if I need to run a third line from the new helm back up to the reservoir?
    This type of helm pump does not have an internal reservoir, and a reservoir tank at the lower helm could not be vented, i think?
    I’ll include a drawing, sorry, not pro quality!
    Thanks

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

donald roth
    Participant

Thanks,
    I’ve been thinking it all through, and have also come to the conclusion that adding a second reservoir would not work, I’ve got to run a third line forward to the reservoir at the high point of the system.

john
    Participant

I’m pretty sure the third line is so that the helm never starves of fluid. The hynautic helms are just a pump with no reservoir. The pressurized reservoir makes sure there is always fluid to them. You can remove it but you should add something weather its tubing or reservoir at the highest point. 3/8 tubing is fine. I had a large project a year ago that I learned a lot about steering systems.

donald roth
    Participant

The helm pump is a H 41 or something in that range, I posted a question on it previously, but the parts I needed were generic to all pumps in the series, so I never did find out exactly which one I have.
    Over the years I have owned or worked on several boats with the Hynautic pressurized systems, and gradually came to the realization that some of the parts were bogus, and it could be simplified.
    I removed the pressure pot on my own, but it was at your suggestion (Tony) that I removed the overpressure bypass valve block that causes so much restriction in the system.
    IMO, one thing that really helped was replacing the hydraulic oil with diluted ATF as per Tony’s recipe.
    Sorry for the crappy diagram, I’m not used to drawing with my finger on a screen!
    The forward helm and reservoir is roughly 5’ above the new helm, and some 20 feet away.
    Is it ok to use a smaller line for the return? It Has 1/2” tubing on P&S supply lines, would 3/8”be enough?
    Thanks for the help!

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Donald,

Glad you figured out how to remove all the Hynautic “ancillaries” that only add complexity to the system along with very noticeable steering effort.. Curious, how did you figure out how to do that? Very few know that it can be done with positive results.

Next——————–Yes, you need to add a low pressure 3rd “gravity feed” line to the added helm pump.. This can be tricky as much depends on the height of your reservoir and the height of both helm stations to it, and to each other..

So first– need a simple elevation diagram and I’ll remove any learning curves..

2nd– what EXACT helm pump are you going to use for the new station?.

Tony

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.