• Creator
    Topic

Bruce Boyce
    Participant

Has anyone had a issue with a 9KW Onan Rotor? If so did find the part? My local Cummings/Onan service shop say they discontinued the part. Not sure if they make one yet under a different part number, but it’s not looking promising. Does anyone know if the engine, which is a 3 cylinder Kubota can be adapted to a different Stator/rotar assembly? Any help would be appreciated.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Propane Generator ??

Sherlywang,

You do now this is a “Marine Engine” forum 100% related to boats & marine applications centered around Mid-range Cummins Marine diesel engines, right??..

But it is nice to know, propane along with CNG are not all that practical in the big scheme of things………

LNG? Well, it still has along ways to go as to a marine applications like are discussed here .. Remember, LNG is a “use it or lose it” form of energy or fuel.

Tony

sherlywang
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins

I have a 6k propane generator set[/url], lasts about 4 hours on a 20lb tank, but since propane is for ever I plan on getting a large tank installed and feeding my dryer, generator and stove from the one tank.

I’m happy with mine. how ever it’s important to remember that power from propane will cost you double the cost of power from diesel fuel as propane has a lot less “energy” when compared to diesel.

james
    Participant

Support

You nailed it on support. Fortunately there is a local generator shop, that usually can get me the right parts. When I called Onan themselves, it was an impossible discussion. I’ll run this one until it starts giving me a lot of problems, then swap it out for a phasor.

james
    Participant

Further questions

Tony – I’m know I have a 3600 rpm Onan generator, just spent a miserable couple of hours replacing the impeller, (would like to watch the design engineers do that service). I know the engine is the Kubota d722, which I had on one of my old sailboats. I think that engine is rock solid and have know concerns about it. Also, I suspect that 1800 Onan’s also are spun by that Kubota engine. The question I have is, there a way to salvage what I see as a very fine engine, and put a new generation head on it, and convert the whole thing to 1,800 rpm? If I start having serious problems on generations, I would hate to throw away what I think is a pretty good powerhead.

I am having some intermittent problems, where the unit will kick out the AC breaker even with a relatively light load. I replaced the breaker, which was another really fun task, and have removed the sound shield as I think the issues may have been heat related. My engine room is too well insulated that the sound shield is pretty redundant, and I doubt that I will put it back in.

I was disappointed to see that the generator I have is considered low quality, my boat is a Tiara 4000, and so far, I have found almost all components to be well above average and well thought out.

Bruce Boyce
    Participant

Thanks Tony! I am weighing my options.

Yes I do have 2 A/C units. They may be running while underway, but not normally when on the anchor. Battery Charger, Stove, ice maker.

Do you sell generators? Do you recommend anyone?

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Is it located in a damp area such as in the lazarette? Perhaps a rewind in order?

Bruce Boyce
    Participant

Tony,
    Model# 9MDKWB
    Serial# C953352661
    Spec B
    Spec# 60508B

Any idea why the rotor failed?—I do not know why the Rotor failed? The service manager said could be lack of maintenance? Which I don’t really understand how to do maintenance on a rotor?

How many total hours?—423

Average load when running? —This one I do not have the answer to. We just bought the boat last August

Any other issues?— It was a intermittent problem when we bought the bought. Was working 98% of the time.

Sound shield or not?—-Yes there is a sound shield. However, it will not go back on if I can this this one fixed?

Thanks for your help Tony!

Bruce

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Bruce,

Not an easy post to answer as you are only saying you have a 9Kw ONAN from 1996-ish?.. Not much to go on, buy luckily I know the ONAN line-up pretty good from the mid-90’s fwd……Look at the attached bulletin–Is this the EXACT model you have? Whether is is or not, post the Model Number, the spec number, and serial number.. Then, at least when I do some research , I won’t have do it twice..

About the only thing that is right in your post is that your particular ONAN is no longer made—Parts to repair? —MAYBE…..Cost effective?–Maybe..

Any idea why the rotor failed? How many total hours? Average load when running? Any other issues?
    Sound shield or not?————–Answer the 5 ??’s

Tony

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.