• Creator
    Topic

Heath Irvine
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Kamikaze - 40' O'Brien
    Engines: Twin 6CTA 430HP

Hi everyone,

Hopefully someone on here can have some new ideas and advice for an issue I have with an engine.

I have twin 6CTA 430HP engines in my game fishing boat and have had problems with not getting full power out of one and also blowing a lot of white smoke and excess diesel coming out the exhaust. WOT normally is 2600RPM for theses engines and I can only get up to 2000RPM.

The boat is propped correctly.

In the past year I have had a new after cooler and turbo put on. I have had the injectors and fuel pump off and serviced.

We pulled the engine apart and completely rebuilt the head with all new valves and everything that goes with that and while the head was off we decided to put all new liners and rings in the the block.

Before I purchased the boat the previous owner said he had engine troubles with the same engine and bought a long block directly from Cummins and rebuilt it but he seemed to think it was never the same after the rebuild.

All parts were ordered directly through Cummins using the engine serial number. Once they arrived and we started to put the engine back together we soon found out that the liners sent were 5mm to high for the engine block. The diesel mechanic who worked for Cummins for 15 years was puzzled as when crossed checked with Cummins again was assured that the correct liners were sent with that engine serial number. After much discussion new liners where then resent which then fitted correctly into the block. The rest of the engine was all put back with no dramas until we came to running the engine.

Once we started and were out sea trialling we soon found that the engine was the same as before blowing white smoke with excess diesel coming out of the exhaust and also getting no more power than 2000RPM again. The other engine which was not touched when advanced could continue up to just under the 2450RPM but would make the WOT recommendation if the other engine was running correctly also.

The front of the engine was taken off and the timing was checked and also the crank and cam are the correct serial numbers for that engine serial number.

We swapped fuel pumps and injectors off the good engine to see if they were the problem even though they had been taken off once before and checked to no avail.

We have run out of ideas and everyone we seem to talk too are also stumped.

Everything seems to be pointing to this engine block with smaller liners that wasn’t the original but no one has answers for why, even the guys at Cummins.

We are about to pull the engine out of the boat and look for a replacement block but one with the higher liners that were sent with the serial number off the engine.

Is there anybody out there that could offer some ideas or info about this problem before we start this as we are all stumped and maybe/hoping its an easy fix?

Regards,
    Heath

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Never saw this post–Sorry..

Start with serial numbers of both engines and good pics showing the installation of the suspect engine.. Need to see what you are dealing with I especially want to see the exhaust and the turbo areas.. Air cleaner off.

Aftercooler– Serviced per my protocol and pressure tested at 20-25 PSI? You are 100% on this, right??

Tony

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.