• Creator
    Topic

George Laurence
    Vessel Name: Wild At Heart
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA

While cruising at 2200 RPM, my 270 HP, 6BTA 1998 Cummins suddenly lost oil pressure and the alarm sounded. I immediately shut the engine down, check the bilge for oil and found none. I checked the dip stick and the oil level was at the proper level. It was dark in color but no apparent signs of metal particulates. The oil has approximately 80 hours on it since last changed this past spring. The engines have 1250 hours total. Does this sound like a failed oil pump?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Consider Tony’s location atop the oil filter housing as “PLAN A” but if access is better on the other side of the engine (such as inboard on a twin screw) consider the main oil galley here

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Oil Pressure issues

First, get a good 0-100 or zero to 200 PSI Liquid filled mechanical gauge with a 18″ to 4ft hydraulic quality #4 hose/#4 JIC adapters ( good tool for your tool box anyway) .. Attach to the main oil gallery or on the fitting on top of the oil filter housing/cooler…………..Then see what is really going on.. More than likely you have a bad OP sender as that is what drive the gauge and the alarm system if you have “factory Instrumentation” that has a PCB board behind the panel..

In the 30+ YEARS of doing this, I have only seen 2 oil pump failures with 1000’s of engines under my belt..

Tony

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.