• Creator
    Topic

Brian Katz
    Participant

I assume this is a date code and serial number?

Is it a 2008?? The boats a 2002 so the million dollar question…is it original?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Overall, your aftercooler looks really good, but for sure, it is related to the last water they saw before shut down and then, sitting at the dock for days, weeks & months on end…

Use lots of grease during the assembly, and FRESH WATER FLUSH religiously if you are not parking the boat in water that you could use to water your lawn with..

Tony

Brian Katz
    Participant

The second looks even better. I plan on fresh water flushing and changing Zinc mid season.

I believe the boat was keep at lighthouse from new till about 2013 or 2014 then was up in forge river. All brackish water ways.

I have a good start on the 330s but have many hours of work to perform to cover all Tony’s recommendations and install the boxes of parts now lingering in my garage.

Also in search of a spent 1.75 x 2.625 cutlass bearing to split and use with the strut pro to change my cutlass bearings. I dont have the heart to cut a new one in 1/2. If you guys have one laying in the shop I’d be interested.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Yup, nothing to complain about there. Looks like a zinc got loose at one time but very very minor and nothing to address there.

When I inspected these engines and looked at the aftercooler exteriors as close as possible there were zero signs of any corrosion …. that does not rule out anything but at least it’s not game over. Sometime you see so much exterior corrosion you know it’s done. Glad it turned out in your favor.

I checked my records for the build dates on the engines, Jan 2002. Between 1999-2001 is when they were using the aluminum finned cores. So either your cores were right after that era or indeed they were replaced based on the possible date code.

The river on which your boat was slipped (prior to your purchase) is an estuary so no doubt that low salinity played a very big roll. I forget if the seller was original owner?

My 6BTA build dates are Oct 2001 and unfortunately my cores are the aluminum finned ones. They are still good, thanks to my engines being slipped in brackish water since day one and Seaboard style aftercooler servicing started when they were very young.

Brian Katz
    Participant

Core pics

Here’s some pics of the disassembled cooler. I am pleased. The boats a 2002 and I expected the condition to be rougher. I don’t think I have anything to complain about but discovering the number drew my curiosity. She went back together easily per Seaboard protocal.

Brian Katz
    Participant

Thanks Tony.

Tony Athens

No clue, as I said..

Tony

Brian Katz
    Participant

Specifically if that’s a date code and what is the date?

Tony Athens

No clue, and DOES NOT matter.. The “core condition” is dependent on how it was maintained, not some date code or what ever those numbers mean…. Full pics of the core would help in that regards..

So, exactly what help do you need..

Tony

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.